The Opinel #13. Musings on big Opinels - a fairly rational view.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Pattree

Full Member
Jul 19, 2023
4,543
3,251
79
UK
I use my big Opinels regularly and got to thinking about some of the reviews I’ve read and seen.

I am a big Opinel fan. I enjoy the simplicity and effectiveness of this traditional rustic range of tools.
IMG_9295.jpeg

They can be taken to their five basic parts in seconds (after the first time.)

They can be chucked into the washing up after food prep.

They can do everything that I ask of a knife. Why would I look for anything else?


But the Opinel#13 Géant is a bit different!

IMG_9294.jpeg

I own a #13 and from time to time I read all sorts of rubbish written about it. This post is based on my experience over more than 10 years of ownership. I’m guessing that much of the nonsense has been written by people who have never owned or used one. YouTube demonstrations mostly seem dramatised or aggressive, neither of which is appropriate in my view. Comparisons with fixed blades are ridiculous.

Just as with any tool, I had to learn to use my Géant appropriately.

Because it is proportioned much the same as all of the traditional knife range, it can be difficult to judge, from illustrations, just how big the #13 really is.

If you take the cardboard centre of a paper towel roll and place it over the handle of an ordinary carving knife you will get some idea of the Géant!

IMG_9291.jpeg

The detractors launch all sorts of criticisms about its dimensions and function most of which are totally irrelevant. The keenies hail it as some sort of folding machete or axe substitute. Both views are nonsense.

A very common claim made by its detractors is that it was created as a window dressing model. There is an element of truth in this:

In my childhood there did exist such a shop window model. This long predates the stainless steel knives like the 13 Géant which weren’t introduced until the year 2000.

I remember, as a child, gazing through a shop window at a huge knife. It had the tan varnished handle still seen on the carbon steel Opinels today. I seem to remember that the blade was etched with advertising and I’ve been told that it did not have an edge. However this knife was not proportioned like the pocket knives. It was much more elegant, the handle narrower for its length. They weren’t for sale. I remember that it looked like our bread knife at home and (at the age of about 8) I wanted one. No chance!

The #13 Géant is indeed used today as window dressing by a few tool shops and why not - it attracts attention. It is however a fully functional knife within its designated application.
Opinel have recently mounted the wooden #13 knife handle vertically on a base and furnished it with a dozen or so pegs on which they display their smaller knives, key rings and children’s knives. This may have added to the “window dressing” criticism.

The knife has been variously praised and criticised as some sort of folding machete. Videos of it being used to hack its way through lumber and branches and even splitting logs, abound.

When this inevitably damages both handle and blade the critics jeer.

Who on Earth ever batons any folding knife? It can easily shock the pivot with over 50KG.

In the case of the Opinel, doing so not only risks damage to the pivot but causes the Viroblock lock to cut flakes from the wooden handle impairing the locking mechanism.

The blade is 220mm long (as are those other knives in my kitchen). However it is also 3.6mm thick, 36mm wide and like all the traditional Opinels, it is ground flat. This gives the blade a highly acute angled cross section to which a minimal second beveled edge is applied. This acute angle means that there is very little metal behind the edge. It is totally inappropriate for any form of wood chopping.

This is something that I did not realise in the early days of ownership. I am as guilty of abusing mine as many others are theirs - but I learned.

IMG_9292.jpeg

For several reasons, I do not consider my #13 to be an outdoor tool.

The first thing that strikes you as you pick up the newly arrived box is weight: 417gms (unboxed).

Fortunately it doesn’t take long to realise that the knife is perfectly balanced despite the weight of its massive blade.

IMG_9298.jpeg

Unsurprisingly I hold it in the middle of its open length where it balances very comfortably.

IMG_9297.jpeg

There is a second reason that I don’t take it out of my house. Outdoors and when camping, if I use a knife at all, then it will be one of my several Opinel#12s.
1791370879411.png
These I transport between home and camp locked in my fire drum and surrounded by camping kit. I have no qualms about being challenged for transporting an Opinel #12 despite it being a locking knife with a 120mm blade. The circumstances make it totally justifiable. Perhaps if I had a deer carcass or hog roast equipment in the back of my car I could argue for the 220mm blade of the #13. It would make a spectacular and effective contribution to a carcass roast.
Of course, like the vast majority of us, I have never been challenged.

“So what is it for?”

The question is asked and wrongly answered over and over again in discussion and video.
Back in my days in management development we had an acronym: RTFM!

READ THE FLIPPIN’ MANUAL!

The Opinel#13 function is clearly written in their publicity and on the box. It has precisely the same function as the other 220mm bladed knives owned by the most of us in the UK, (not just in Bushcraft.)

As is clearly stated on the box, it is for slicing meat, bread and cheese etc. (The vision of a lump of cheese requiring a 220mm blade is the stuff of my dreams). I also use it for slicing vegetables such as a cabbage or a swede.

I appreciate that it takes an Opinel enthusiast to use such a carving knife when so many others are available. Each design has its own adherents; we each have our preferences and foibles: this is one of mine. I love using it.

IMG_9290.jpeg
Form Follows Function.

So:

Am I pleased with my Opinel #13 Géant?
Definitely. It’s fun to own and fun to use. A drawer queen it isn’t.

Is it a necessity?
No of course not.

Would I recommend it to others?
That depends upon their intended use. I’d be reluctant to recommend the tool just for it to end up in a drawer but I suppose that collectors are collectors.

I’m more likely to point a practical enquirer to an elegant newcomer on the scene - the Opinel 12B .

1791368640806.png
Set into a conventional #12 bolster, this knife has a 160mm blade and could perform much the same function as the #13 at a fraction of the weight. It is much more like the knife that I drooled over as an 8 year old. At the moment it can only be bought as part of the barbecue set @ €100. I am sure that there is a clammour for the knife on its own. I shall be patient and before long I shall own the knife that pressed my nose against a shop window seventy odd years ago.

Even then I shall continue enjoy my Géant.



Bon appetite. IMG_9296.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Very good to see this knife in your setting. I can't quite see past its proportions being a blown-up scale Opinel - I like the sound of the one you describe from your childhood with the more elegant proportions.

I do disagree with this though!
They can be chucked into the washing up after food prep.

I've found the slightest hint of damp and the handles swell so as to make the blade jammed closed into the handle or very difficult to close. Sometimes the bang/tap technique to open it just isn't enough.
 
I've found the slightest hint of damp and the handles swell so as to make the blade jammed closed into the handle or very difficult to close. Sometimes the bang/tap technique to open it just isn't enough.

If that is what you have found then that is what you have found. I have no intention of contradicting you.

From my own experience and that of those whom I know, this is something of an Opinel myth.
The only story I’ve heard of an Opinel 8 jamming to any significant extent, it had been in a river all night. It still tapped open.

Mine go straight into soapy water after food preparation.

Edited to add:
IMG_9745.jpeg
Demonstration:
We’ll know more in the morning but all I’ve done is wiped the outside of the handle. It’s been under water with the rest of the washing up.
 
Last edited:
A great write-up of the Géant. Very interesting. They are comically large, though. A fixed carving knife makes more sense to me.

I have had a No.8 Inox for many years -bought in a small shop in a forest in Brittany (after losing a No.9 carbon, possibly during a house move). It's a great, very handy, large-ish pocket knife.

I am tempted to buy a No.12 Inox for even better food chopping.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Pattree
I am tempted to buy a No.12 Inox for even better food chopping.


May I suggest that fit it to your hand as much as decide on blade length.

A #9 would probably do most of the things that I want it to but my hand fills the handle of a #12 from heel to bolster - it just feels right.

I have not got a #12 with the serrated blade. If food preparation is going to be the main work then you might want to consider one.
 
I'm rather fond of my aging, spearpoint No.8 gardener's Opinel. the spearpoint is so much more useful in my limited and humble experience.
I do like the forward sweep on the garden knife handle.
If you look closely at my washing up you will see that I have swapped the blade of my #12 saw for a knife blade. It makes a good looking and functional knife, again with the swept forward handle.

Unfortunately it leaves behind an ugly twin!!!!!


Bloody’ell, more editing than writing.

Oh! I’d forgotten that picture of the four twelves ^^^^^ in the OP.
You can see the swapped handles in that

1791462298902.png
 
Last edited:
I like that whopping big thing a lot. Like a Liston knife or something. Like you, I have a bunch. Their #8 Serpette knife is fantastic in the garden. I think they might have been redesigned possibly. Mine has a more rounded handle than the ones I just looked at online
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Pattree
At the moment it can only be bought as part of the barbecue set @ €100. I am sure that there is a clammour for the knife on its own.
I try to keep either very securely sheathed or preferably folding knives in my camper, for fear of a cut while rummaging, or worse, sharp things flying about in the event of an accident. I'm the same with glass and anything like candles. It was hard to get hold of the Opinel serrated #12 except by importing or buying the picnic set. Large folders are easy enough, but a decent sized folding bread knife long enough to reach through a standard loaf is rare.

But now they're available for about £20, which is a bargain. I'm also a lover of the Jardin, blade stock is thin which suits its food tasks better than the hard use classic.

Had a few plays with the Géant over the years, always brings a smile just how ridiculously huge it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pattree
Reminds me of the Cold Steel Luzon XL I was given one year. I wondered what the heck I was supposed to use it for but ended up carving the Christmas turkey with it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CLEM and Pattree
May I suggest that fit it to your hand as much as decide on blade length.

A #9 would probably do most of the things that I want it to but my hand fills the handle of a #12 from heel to bolster - it just feels right.

I have not got a #12 with the serrated blade. If food preparation is going to be the main work then you might want to consider one.
The No.9 that I had and lost was a better size for my hand than the No.8 I now have.

The No.12 is a good size.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pattree
IMG_9745.jpeg

OK. It’s eight hours since I chucked my #12 into a bowl of soapy water and included it in the washing up.
I shook it dry and wiped the outside of the handle just as I do when camping.

If it has got seriously greasy in camp, I take it apart - handle, blade & pivot pin plus inner and outer Viroblock components.

This morning it opened sans coup de savoyard (without tapping the toe of the knife to release the blade. This was how all Opinels were opened before 2000 when Opinel introduced the stainless steel (innox). Previously the blade did not lock closed but folded right inside the handle.)

I fully acknowledge that a long immersion in water can jam the wooden handled Opinels - we have evidence in this thread.
However, I have been using these knives for decades in every weather condition that you can think of without any issues at all. A minute or so under water causes no problems.

Edited to add:
I doubt that Monsieur Joseph Opinel could have sold his knife to local shepherds if it jammed in the rain.

I bet we can’t put the myth to bed though :lmao:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: hughtrimble
I bet we can’t put the myth to bed though
It's not a myth though..you have two people in your own thread saying it's happened to them, myself included. Mine wasn't even submerged.

If it was your own creation I could understand your defensiveness, but unless you're secretly Pattree Opinel, I think you can accept that the wood they use sometimes swells!

I love Opinels, I'm not saying they're not great things FYI.
 
There is no conflict here. Just two different experiences.

I simply haven’t experienced or witnessed any problem from a brief immersion in water.
Others have - I happily acknowledge that. Prolonged immersion will jam the knife.

Chucking mine into a washing up bowl, as per the OP, several times during a camp has not proved problematical for me, any more than it did last night.

If anyone does seem to have a particularly absorbent handle there is a German YouTube somewhere where a guy heats his handle in mineral oil, forces out the air then allows it to cool and suck in the oil. (We used to call this the hot&cold treatment for creosoting fence posts.)

I won’t be doing that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HorseGuy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE