The Opinel #13. Musings on big Opinels - a fairly rational view.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
It's not a myth though..you have two people in your own thread saying it's happened to them, myself included. Mine wasn't even submerged.

If it was your own creation I could understand your defensiveness, but unless you're secretly Pattree Opinel, I think you can accept that the wood they use sometimes swells!

I love Opinels, I'm not saying they're not great things FYI.
I’ve had multiple jam up in my pocket just from general damp. At least one so bad that it needed pliers to force it open.

I’ve also had one have the handle shrink in the warm and caused me to cut myself when I put my hand in my pocket from the blade dropping loose.

That was when I ‘invented’ the locking function long before opinel themselves started using it for the closed blade and all excited posting about it discovered others had already done it too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hughtrimble
I started out with a #9 in the 80’s when they were all carbon and had the disappearing blade. It was my only “pocket” knife for many years.
Then I found the #12. It just fitted. I hadn’t realised that there was anything special about its performance until much later. It is such a good slicing tool.

Like many of us here I’m not a collector of Opinels, large or small, I have simply acquired an accumulation of them.

People know that I like them and I very occasionally buy one - like the Explore - and they have just sort of herded together..

I have a couple of Effilé gifts. I have no idea what to do with them. Has anyone else used one. I have used my smaller E10 as a table knife.
Ideas?

I’ve never tried to dismantle an Effilé because I don’t use them. I can’t think of a handle that would make one useful.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE