some recent axes

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i've been making a lot of axes recently, so thought I'd post up a few pics of the latest batch ;)

adze.jpgaxe group.jpgcurve1.jpgNB2.jpgNB4.jpgNB5.jpg

the smaller heads in the group of four are EN43 spring steel and range in weight from about 300g to 600g. The rest are all mild steel heads with cutting edges of EN42J (higher carbon content). Handles of blackened ash from my woodland and sheathes from 4mm veg tan leather.

The two axes photographed on the logs are the subjects of a (hopefully) soon to be shown video :)

thanks for looking folks

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hey Dave, how do you blacken the handles?

My refurbished axe has a haft of birch which is looking very manky now. Water from sharpening wet ran on to it and made grey stains.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's getting my Viking blood stirring that is. Beautiful work - like the black handles, they show off the heads really nicely.

GB.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Absoulutely stunning Dave - love the third one along (one embedded in the log) and the head at the bottom of the pic of the 4 heads, love the shape

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Thank you folks :)

As soon as the video is ready I will be putting it up here (and everywhere else I can I should think!).

I've got a few adze heads made recently (had a few students want to make them as well as some orders).

The handles are blackened with fire. Ether by holding a blowtorch to it until it chars or by holding it in my gas forge until it starts to char (the one that looks more brown than pure black was done this way). Then I use a scotchbrite pad to rub off the charcoal, followed by a thorough (Danish) oiling whilst it is still warm from charring.

Chris, most of the heads will be going with me to the knife show. The video hawk will do as well, but the other finished axes are sold already. I'll be making some more heads before then too. Maybe even one or two pattern welded ones ;)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Very good looking axes there Dave :) , I am having a bit of an axe fetish these days and am having a lot of fun using them and trying to improve my axe skills .

A very tempting set you have ;) I am liking the longer cutting edges over the standard bushcraft GB axes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE