Solstice puzzle - rustic button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Ooooh advocado! Fantastic. Show me how.. I've got an avocado for my lunch to,or row, I'll save the stone...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ooooh advocado! Fantastic. Show me how.. I've got an avocado for my lunch to,or row, I'll save the stone...

Save the stone. Wash it, and put it to one side. In 2-3 days you should be able to peel the thin oily skin from the stone. Don't worry if it won't all come off. It will in the end. After about a week the stone will start to split naturally, usually into two halves. You can twist it a bit to see if you can get it to separate, but don't pry at it with anything as the flesh is still softish. Just let is dry until it separates. Keep the separated halves at least another 2 weeks until they have dried to a uniform colour.

I've been slowly accumulating them for over a year, so some are very dry now. I used a belt sander to get them smooth, and then the pointy tip of a mora carving knife made the holes really easily, though a drill would work well too.

So far I've only made one, but more will follow. I know a seamstress or two who might appreciate rustic buttons as a gift.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Only made one? Oh you have to make two so you have a pear... Sorry pair! :D
Nice looking button though sir, nice work, are you going to attach it to your new Bushshirt once your good lady had finished it?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Only made one? Oh you have to make two so you have a pear... Sorry pair! :D

This just made me snort, out loud, in public. Oh Deary Deary me....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I knew they could be carved, (nicely done Mike :D) but every time I've tried drying one the blooming thing sprouts :rolleyes:

Pretty wee trees though :D they do get rather too big for my windowsills in very short order, and I just pass them along to folks with huge great windows in the old sandstone houses.

How do you stop them sprouting ? the season just doesn't seem to matter.

M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I knew they could be carved, (nicely done Mike :D) but every time I've tried drying one the blooming thing sprouts :rolleyes:

Pretty wee trees though :D they do get rather too big for my windowsills in very short order, and I just pass them along to folks with huge great windows in the old sandstone houses.

How do you stop them sprouting ? the season just doesn't seem to matter.

M

Mine have never sprouted. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Must just be me then :eek: :eek:
Chestnuts sprout too, so do acorns gathered for coffee….makes quite good coffee actually once they've started to sprout, sweeter somehow.

You don't even need to go to all the bother of putting one end in water, just sit them somewhere and forget about them for a fortnight :rolleyes: Next thing you know you have a woodland in the making, and I don't have the heart to kill them.

M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sounds like the humidity where you store things is quite high. Which I can believe, in Scotland :D Mind you, there's a lot of water around here too at the moment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, maybe :) Usually just on the kitchen bunker.
It's Lanarkshire, it's sodden wet, green and lush here.
Honestly Mike if I didn't weed them out I wouldn't get the door open in a couple of years for trees growing.

The avocado stones though, they've always sprouted. Even when I was little, one of our neighbours grew a tree from one. I just thought they always did it.

I did wonder how the hang someone could carve them though; I thought maybe they were baked in the oven or such like first and no one was telling.

M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Aye, maybe :) Usually just on the kitchen bunker.
It's Lanarkshire, it's sodden wet, green and lush here.
Honestly Mike if I didn't weed them out I wouldn't get the door open in a couple of years for trees growing.

The avocado stones though, they've always sprouted. Even when I was little, one of our neighbours grew a tree from one. I just thought they always did it.

I did wonder how the hang someone could carve them though; I thought maybe they were baked in the oven or such like first and no one was telling.

M

I imagine a short burst in a microwave would sort them out. Might speed the drying too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…or cook them and they'd go off.
I wonder if they explode like chestnuts ? :D

So, how many buttons do you reckon to the avocado then ?

M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The way I did it, just 2, but with a little careful sawing perhaps 4 or even 6 depending on the size of the stone. But they wouldn't all be the same size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE