Solo Finland Trip - Photo heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
After being away again on tin tubs in various places from the Shetlands to the Niger Delta for the last 3 months some down time was well needed. Quick sat phone call to the long suffering other half and I had flights booked to Helsinki for when I go back to Blighty. Timing work out well and I was able to attend the excellent Bushcraft Magazine May Day weekend (thanks to Steve and Paul top weekend) and got dropped of by the missis at the airport on the way home.

About 1 ½ hours bus ride outside of Helsinki is Nuuksio National park. It’s a small park as national go but due to its relatively small size you are able to get a felling for the whole park within 3-4 days covering all the marked trails and many off route ingresses deeper into the woods. Id well recommend doing this at the beginning of May it felt like I actually watched spring unfolded from quite cold weather on arrival moving to stunning blue skies and 16 deg. The wildlife when trekking on your own is far easier to spot, with the bird life, moths and butterflies being the most prominent. It was rarely quiet between the great spotted woodpeckers and the cuckoos. The terrain was mainly granite and quartz rock cliffs and outcrops and birch and spruce woods interspaced with marsh. 20-25K a day with a 20 kg bergan has helped shift some post at sea belly. Anyhoo he’s a few taster photographs.

8fdc13e3.jpg

f3f6cc71.jpg

2e71c33f.jpg

cd11d8ac.jpg

Finish Humor

4d3e90f1.jpg

c294eb80.jpg

edec32e9.jpg

fb8a6695.jpg

All road lead where?

daf942a3.jpg

cfa8742d.jpg

e785a506.jpg

dc52abcc.jpg

ef7d0f34.jpg

a43bbf7c.jpg

aaf3777a.jpg

c7b21356.jpg

035f023d.jpg

163b7d52.jpg

40268f77.jpg

62038bb9.jpg

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Brilliant. Very impressed by your photos.

Finland is a great destination.

Been keeping an eye on flights after reading your previous thread; price, time etc all came together; so thank you.
I wish i had a bigger zoom the little camera i have (a cannon ixus 85 i think) only has a x3 which looks like normal vision so alot of the wildlife pics where just too small; thank for your kind words

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Been keeping an eye on flights after reading your previous thread; price, time etc all came together; so thank you.

You're very welcome Will. I was inspired to do my Scandinavian-trip-on-the-cheap-via Ryanair by Twodog's inspiring Norwegian trip report.

Your pics show the phenomenal rewards this kind of trip offers.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That looks fantastic Will.

I recently chose a job near home over a job in Finland, and whilst I know that I've taken the right decision ( and living on the edge of the Lake District isn't too shabby anyway ), I still like to have a look at what I'm missing.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE