Sog knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Been looking round for a new knife as a treat to myself for giving up the evil weed :lmao: and have permission from the good lady (it only cost me £150 for dinner and drinks!) and i've fallen in lurve with a Sogbowie, anybody had good/bad experiences with them?
I'll be ordering from the states as the only place with them in stock over here has them in stock because they are over priced :rolleyes: I'm going to be looking at the thickend of £100 plus the import costs of another £40 so i want to be sure.
I've used bowies for bushcraft for more than ten years and have recently tried scandi's of a few designs (even made my own), kukri's, plus some folders and a Ka-bar warthog, but i still would rather be using my bowie. So i want something with a little more chopping power in a good steel, pref Aus8 as my day to day knife performs well with this.
Hence a Sog super bowie http://sogknives.com/store/SB1T.html has been chosen.
Incase your wondering why i don't just keep using the one i have, the old girls going into retirement after 6 years with me (and i bought it secondhand) as it means so much to me now that i'd blub bad if anything happened to it. :puppy_dog

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
My first knife was actually the SOG flash 2 50/50 I got it used, I love the assisted opening, its really quick, but Ive had it for probably 4 years and my cousin had it for 1 year before that so its probably a 5 year old knife. It has held its edge AMAZINGLY well! I have sharpened it once in the last 4 years and is still really sharp! I love it!

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
I've had a few SOG's starting with a Paratool in 1994 that is still kicking. Got a Stingray damm solid folder. Had an extended loan of a Trident.
The only reservation I have is some models have a rather fine point. Great for sentry elimination ( there do have a military heritage remember) but not my first choice for general bushcraft/survival work.
I want a fine point on the little knife and a solid drop or spear point on the big knife.
Stay away from the fusion line. I've played with a couple once you get one in your hand the are very "tinnie"
Carl

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
um, had some sog bowies a couple of decades ago. much as i am a fan of knives that are just fun, many of the sog knives have really thick secondary bevels that cut right down on the performance.

that said, they can be fun. :D

i can highly recommend http://www.michiganknives.com/sog_knives.htm i have never had issues with customs ordering from bill.

best sog i ever had was the mini tsunami. the missus robbed it on the grounds that it was "cute":rant:

cheers, and.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I'm going to hold off from buying the bowie, looked at the Fallraven A1, and like it, but then i remembered that i have my name down for one of the first batch of British blades anniversary knives, which hopefully will be coming soon :rolleyes:

David, you say you worried about the tactical look of the sealpup, why? your in the woods and doing nothig wrong. Maybe for a EDC you wouldnt want anything evil looking but for a knife that will only see the light of day in the woods or on the campsite i wouldnt have a problem with it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE