So you think you are English

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm English...and damned proud of the fact!

England is a country that has shaped the developed world, made huge strides in technology, industry, agriculture, art, music, we have "the mother of parliaments" and the model of westen judiciary.

England has, IMHO, contributed more, per capita, to the advancement of the world, than almost any other country in the last thousand years.

England is a fantastic country....and we, the English, should be proud and pleased to say so.

Red

So why do you call yourself BRITISH Red then? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Out of interest, would it make any difference to you if you heard that a soldier had been killed on ops, if he were British, or from some African army? Of course, this may reflect more on your time in the Brit army, rather than any bond to the UK.

I am just saddened when ANY soldier dies on ops. If I know the guy personally, I'm affected personally. There's too many people coming home in body bags these days not to be saddened by it all. Regardless of country, they are all somebody's son, husband or father.

I go to Bulgaria every year for two weeks to an international primitive skills gathering. There are people there form a dozen different countries. What bonds us all is sharing a knowledge of primitive skills. Nobody mentions nationalism or patriotism but we do discuss cultural differences when it comes to skills and how they are practiced. There's no real diffence between me and a Bulgarian leather craftsman, or the guy from Latvia, ot the Canadian who came last year and taught us loads of new tricks with buckskin.
One thing I did learn though is there are Celtic roots in Bulgaria, and many other eastern european countries. The Celtic influence went massively throughout Europe as we know it today. The Celts of old had trade routes long before the Romans bullied their way in and took over. So mongrels we all are at the end of the day, and brothers too.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes, but isn't it just called a Red Squirrel? Why did you append the 'British' bit?
Unless it is called a 'British Red Squirrel', in which case I stand corrected.

Because "Sciurus vulgaris not Tamiasciurus hudsonicus" is a bit of a gobful.

Its the British native or Eurasian red squirrel Scirius vulgaris as opposed to the American red squirrel Tamiasciurus husnicus.

Happy now?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere

Its the British native or Eurasian red squirrel Scirius vulgaris as opposed to the American red squirrel Tamiasciurus husnicus.

Happy now?

Yup, OK.
I see exactly where you're coming from now.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Happy now?

He's got a point you know - as there isn't actually a British species, it could just as accurately be called the English Red. :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep it could, but then again how would that be distinct from a Scottish Red?

The joy of being English is that it isn't separate from being British or indeed a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Life is fractal :)

I have never understood this attitude of embarrassment in being English - nobody turns a hair at the saltire of the Scottish or Welsh pride. Being proud of ones heritage and countrymen is no strange thing. The English have contributed hugely to the world of culture, science, commerce and justice. Why not be proud of our country? This doesn't prevent us from admiring the achievements of others.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interestingly, this might inform the debate a little:

Recent studies by scientists at Newcastle University have shown that Red Squirrels in Cumbria have come from genetically different sources. Those in the north and east of the county have spread through Kielder Forest from continental Red Squirrels introduced to north east England in the past. Red Squirrels in south Cumbria are related to Lancashire Red Squirrels of a different continental genotype. But most intriguingly, Red Squirrels in the northern Lake District and north west Cumbria are of a unique genetic type which may well be the original British race.

Perhaps I should be a North West Cumbrian Squirrel? :D

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I never really think of my self as English or British I don't feel any national pride or patriotism for most of the country but I am very proud to be from Devon

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
British by birth,Welsh by the grace of God
A Welshman is always British but never English and certainly not European.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If a fish was born in a dog kennel it would not make it a dog.

Both true and irrelevant.

Nationality isn't a matter of race or genetics. A person who is legally a citizen of England is English irrespective of their DNA. Being of DNA that originated from the Celts makes you no more English than if from Saxon, Viking, Roman, African, Indian, Pakistani, Jamaican or Inuit origin.

Race and Nationality are not related in any way

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Nationality isn't a matter of race or genetics...Race and Nationality are not related in any way..."

Indeed, my daughter has dual nationality, Hungarian and British, and yet was born in Hungary and has never set foot in the UK. In todays world nationality has more to do with a legal state recognized by international law rather than place of birth. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE