So I went out last night..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
I went out last night with a couple friends. I wanted to squeeze an overnight in before I go to my friends stag do this weekend in Prague!

Here are some photos..

I tasted a wee mouth full of that water there.. It tasted ok not salty. Would I have been ok to filter this say with a scarf and boil it? Or use my purification tables ??

My main reason for posting on here that I tried to start a fire using Birch Bark (or what I thought was birch bark, I am still a beginner)
I usually take cotton whool in vasoline but didn't want to this time. I couldn't get scrapings off the bark and when I did they wouldn't take a spark at all. I don't know what I did wrong or if it maybe wasn't the correct tree?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It looks like you've scarred a cherry tree for life if not possibly killed it by taking that bark off it :(

You should never, ever take bark from a living tree, only fallen ones or ones you know 100% are about to be felled.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
OK Billy...don't beat yourself up about it. It happens, we learn for next time.

I think the problem is that there are loads of vids on t'internet from pure survival types who have little appreciation of woodland ways advocating 'ringing' bark from trees as a way to get off cleanly.

Hopefully the tree will recover.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
If you take the bark off in a complete ring like that you kill the tree. Taking strips instead, doesn't necessarily kill the tree but does open it up to infection e.g. fungal which may damage/kill the tree later on. With strips they will heal over but misshapen the trunk.

The forum is hear for learning. You've learned. Better to make mistakes and learn from them than be too afraid to try!

Perhaps there is a method to help heal the tree and prevent infection that someone can recommend? I remember seeing people paint over wood cuts. Not sure how effective that is though?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nuff said on the tree i wont labour it more.

I filter or boil all water when im out. Just because water looks clear and doesnt taste of salt doesnt make it safe. Reality is the worst thats likely to happen is a dose of the two bob bits if you drink it untreated but you never know whats up stream. In the mountains ill just generally boil it for a brew but always filter drinking water as then i dont waste fuel boiling it.

No filter is 100% but ive never had a water borne illness that i know of. chemical treatments work fine too but i prefer the filter.

Sawyer mini is a cracking little unit thats cost effective if ordered from amazon. Will screw onto a pop bottle to make life easy

cheapest from american amazon at £17.81 delivered (no tax to pay)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA2RLX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing about cherry trees though is that they do coppice, so it'll most likely sprout branches below the ringed bit.
I know mine go nuclear once we've taken the tops off them, and we do that every couple of years or so.

Lesson to us all; when we say take the bark, maybe make it clear to take bits that are peeling or from dead looking branches or fallen stuff.

Looks like a lovely spot you found though :D
Thank you for the photos :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
id like to point out that you dont need to take bark from dead or fallen birch trees they naturally shed thin whisps of paper bark and if you peel them off (and i mean nearly see through pieces not layers) it makes cracking tinder and does no damage to the tree at all your just helping it along what its doing i do this all the time but it should be only taken from trees where its obviously shedding and no force or blade should be needed to do it. A few "giver" trees and you soon have a decent pocket full for starting a fire.

If you want a larger piece / thicker piece then look for deadfall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE