HELP!! Snowdon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Davey Boy JNR

Aug 19, 2023
Dudley
Good Afternoon Guys,

I thought i would come here because the FB groups are shocking! Now I'm a biggish lad around 24 stone (Yeah i know) now I'm going up Snowdon on the 30th September (I can't wait) now i went wild camping this weekend just gone and found i did take to too much, i kinder now know what i need to take and what not to take, now the question is does anyone know what the average temperature is at night? would i be easier getting a poncho or a waterproof jacket i do get hot easier haha so i don't want to feel massively claustrophobic if that makes sense and tips etc would be absolutely amazing thank you for taking your time to read this

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Hi Davey. I’m just a few miles south of Wyddfa, so apologies if this is standoffish.

I have to ask are you planning on “wild camping”? You may not be aware but camping is only permitted in snowdonia with permission from the land owner. You may wish to consider a campsite and do a day walk up the mountain which is easily manageable.

In terms of temperature, and indeed weather, you will find it completely changeable. This will depend on the route you take aside from what local forecasts say due to microclimates created by the mountains and the harsh SW wind from the Irish Sea. This evening for example the summit is not visible from 2/3 the way up yet 5 miles south is blue sky.

I wouldn’t like to suggest a figure but be prepared for a wind chill factor taking you down below freezing.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Definitely bring a waterproof jacket and a warm layer (e.g. a fleece). A hat if it’s sunny and a warm hat if it’s a cold day. The weather can change very fast in the mountains of Snowdonia and it can be a lot colder higher up on the mountains even if it’s warm down in the valley. Then you need snacks and water to last you for the duration of your walk, plus a bit extra should something happen.

Assuming you’re walking, which path are you planning on taking?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Been round the area this last week, waxed canvas drizabone style coat against the rain, and a German army woolen shirt/jacket against the cold. Most of the time in shorts and T shirt, but then it is getting a bit colder now. Not wild camping however and did have the advantage of a wood stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE