snaring rabbits....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh! I see. Logical! If you would Adi that would be great. Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

Jake

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
OK this picture should make things clearer!

the snare is attached Via the tether to whatever is holding it in place

snare.jpg

note the pegs to guide the rabbit into the snare and the triangle shape of the wire where the tether is attached which helps the snare to stay in place

this is one of Eds snares that we set up whilst out last weekend

remember that you must have the permsion of the land owner (as we did)
and i recommend that you find somone who has experiance of laying snares (like your local game keeper) to show you how to do it on your first trip

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Stuart,
that does make it clear. Ill make sure i do it legitamatly, i know the land owner of the place in mind.
Its just a question of finding a run!

Cheers,

Jake

Mar 2, 2004
hey jakey m8 have you ever had to kill a rabbit b4,dont forget that snaring dosent kill the bunny instantly and you may come across one that is still kicking and squealing[ no kidding]

bear this in mind when snaring,also please bear in mind that it is a f :***: g horrible way for any animal to die........just a thought. air rifles are the way to go but thats just my opinion :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers naughty boy, i thought of that, and i was wondering if i would have the stomach to do it!
But i think i'll just use a .22 calibre in the back of the head. Couldnt handle clubbing it or anything of the sort!

Cheers,

Jake

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
this is one (of many) reasons why i suggest you have somone with experiance when you first go out

there is no need to club it to death just quickly and calmly snap its neck

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Slightly different

there are many ways but the way i find easiest is to slide the back of the neck between my index and middle finger with the palm faceing the back of its head and then in one movment stretch the neck and sharply rock the head back

its very quick and saves the animal any unnessicary suffering

its probably very difficult to visualise what i'm saying from my description
so take my advice and go out with somone who has done it before

otherwise you could end up in the terrible situation of trying in vain to dispatch a struggling bunny, and no matter what people say about it not bothring them it will make you feel very bad if you did'nt dispatch it quickly

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Good technique Stuart ... exactly the same as I use for birds.

You make a very good point - no one should go hunting without knowing proper techniques for dispatching quarry. It's not a game or fun - it's serious and it's the respect that the animal deserves.

Gloves (such as gardening gloves) can come in handy too.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I normally stretch the neck, I find it easier than snapping it back - same result.

Although in my experience a properly set snare is designed to kill quickly so you rarely have to kill a snared animal. I've never had to do a rabbit and only once found a fox still alive.
That's the reason I always carry a gun when checking snares.

Cheers

Mark

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'll probably just take my airrifle with me and despatch it that way, through the head. Probably less painful as well.

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE