snaring rabbits....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Jake Rollnick said:
Is there a health danger when preparing and eating wild rabbit?

Cheers,

Jake
Common sence things in handling raw meat apply, clean your hands and knife when you've done, that sort of thing. Other than that eat fresh rabbit and cook it properly like any meat and it'll be fine, been doing it for years without a single problem.
Cheers
David

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks David,

What about if you ruptured a colon/bladder? Would that make a difference. I have no knowledge about skinning techniques. What about asking a butcher? Our butcher is almost a family freind!

Cheers,

Jake

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well,
Rabbit really needs to be gutted in the field as soon as possible after you have dispached it, I've never had the problem of rupturing the innards, just need to take it carefully. If I remember right Hugh F-W gives some pretty clear instructions in at least one of his books, certainly better than I can manage here.
As for skinning a rabbit once gutted it is just a matter of lop off the feet, head and tail and peel it! That can be done when you have got it home. Rabbit is at its best when fresh, no nead to hang it, hare on the other hand does benefit from hanging but there are relativley few around so I leave them be.
Cheers
David

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Talking to my Grandad as he used to set a lot of snares on the farm he worked at, and fastening them to a small branch or tree will lift the rabbit off of the floor upon capture, thus stopping any other predators eating your catch. Would this class as being spring loaded though?
Yes.... I'm afrais so.... that is classed as a spring trap and therfore is illegal as it doesn't appear on the list

:)
Ed

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I bought some snare wire from Gary. Is it a pack of three snares or is it a 3-pack of the wire?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
I bought some snare wire from Gary. Is it a pack of three snares or is it a 3-pack of the wire?

Cheers,

Jake
It's wire to make snares with - a great, relaxing thingto do of an evening!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
a great, relaxing thingto do of an evening!
... or use stuarts method...... Hang the strands of snare wire from a door handle with a 3kg weight on the end... spin the weight... and it twist braids the strands perfectly and even :)

Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ed said:
a great, relaxing thingto do of an evening!
... or use stuarts method...... Hang the strands of snare wire from a door handle with a 3kg weight on the end... spin the weight... and it twist braids the strands perfectly and even :)

Ed
Great trick!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ed said:
Talking to my Grandad as he used to set a lot of snares on the farm he worked at, and fastening them to a small branch or tree will lift the rabbit off of the floor upon capture, thus stopping any other predators eating your catch. Would this class as being spring loaded though?
Yes.... I'm afrais so.... that is classed as a spring trap and therfore is illegal as it doesn't appear on the list

Ed

Bugger was hoping sprung traps where only those like the Gin/Man traps.

Another old trick that again I'm not sure if its allowed now is setting nets up along a fence line in the middle of the night, then go into the field and make a load of noise, all the rabbits should then run into the nets (especially if they're placed over runs). Has this been made illegal as well?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Another old trick that again I'm not sure if its allowed now is setting nets up along a fence line in the middle of the night, then go into the field and make a load of noise, all the rabbits should then run into the nets (especially if they're placed over runs). Has this been made illegal as well?
Yes this is illegal and with good reason. Nets like this (including long nets and gate nets) are not species specific. When you scare the wildlife in the field you could trap birds from the hedgerows or other mamals that are protected by law. As far as I am aware you need to be licensed to use nets in this way.

Hope this helps

Ed

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup cheers mate, totally new to the world of snares etc (as if you hadn't alread guessed :oops: ) so will take a while to find my feet. Spent a lot of time talking to people who used to do it but most aren't aware of recent laws.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Regards to the snare making...do i just make nosses with a bit to attach to a peg?

Cheers,

Jake

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep! thats all they are, free running nooses of 6 to 8 strand braided wire (normaly soft brass). This is then usualy tethered to a stake which is driven into the ground.

;-)
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Does that mean i have to braid 6 of them into something similiar to rope?
Thats correct.... just twist the strands to make a rope/cord, which you use to make your noose. Single strand snares are illegal in the uk as far as I know ......

;-)
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Why are single strands illegal?
ummmm thats a hard one... but in 'theory' if a larger animal, say a deer, got its foot caught in a single strand snare, it would tear into the flesh, crippling the animal leaving you to dispatch it when you check your snares!!!. With a multi braided snare, it wont cut in (in theory).... a deer will probably pull the steak out of the ground... or with free running snares, may get its foot out.
This though is all 'theory' and its a whole different ball game in practice.

;-)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE