snare technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i don;t think i can use a snare to catch anything around where i live but i would be interested to know how to make one and how to test it. I've looked in books but they haven't got any step by step pictures and don't tell you enough detail, if anyone has got some info or links to instructions i would be very grateful!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I think most people in here agree on the fact that snaring is best to be taught IRL. But making them for fun, can't hurt. :wink: I make traps sometimes, but have never sat one up.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I used to use these, nasty things really.

>> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/gintraps.htm

They once put out snares here for the rabbits and ended up catching more Pine Martens that rabbits oops.

The problem with snares are they aren't particular what they catch.
I remember going out with the dog and he disappeared, when he reappeared he had a snare round his foot with the peg still attached luckily the peg pulled out and he was not hurt, needless to say I went round and pulled everyone out never did find out who set them.
If you are going to set them set them away from where people go or you could have problems if you catch a Cat or a Dog.
Worst one is a Polecat nasty little sods they can put up a fight
We have one here we call "Bandit" he is the size of a dog we keep out of his way he keeps out of ours.

MickT

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
If you want to use snares in this country they must be free running. Snares which lock ( ie get tighter as the animal struggles ) are illegal - and rightly so.
It's also illegal to set one and fail to return within 12 hours and to set them around badger sets. You might find if there's common land around that you'd have no problem with snare setting - or you could ask a local farmer.

Modern snares are brass wire and cost about a quid each. I've made my own from fishing net washed up on the beach, I pulled out strands and braided them in sixes making sure I had enough to make a loop wide enough to put my fist through plus spare for fixing. Pegs from diftwood about eight inches long, teelers ( a thin support to keep the loop positioned correctly ) from twigs.

You should set snares along a run, look for bottlenecks such as spots where bunnies have to go under fences, between a couple of rocks etc - anywhere than funnels them along a restricted course. Two fingers high for the base of the loop using the teeler to steady it. Don't disturb the run itself, always approach it from the side.

These snares won't kill - they just hold. Kill the animal before you remove the snare ( assuming you want to eat the animal ). How you'd remove a fox or weasle without getting bitten I don't know, I've only ever got rabbit.

Of course when you come back to check them, someone else will have nicked them and set them up else where - or at least that's happened to me a few times.

Realgar

S

Siecroz

An extra hint for you.. I used to set the bras wire snares years ago.. take into account the scent factor too.. the brass wires all nice and new will be a warning enough to your quarry, but also when you've had your smelly human mits all over the wire, its a dead giveaway (pardon the punn).
Leave the brass wire outside to weather a little, and just before you set the snare, rub it with a little dung..

Not guaranteed to work but it seemed to for me. And lastly.. be prepared mentally for the fact that when you arrive at your snare your prey may well still be alive!!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you manage to get to one of the BCUK meet-ups, chances are that Stuart and Ed will give one of their famous snaring talks and demos. They have it down to a fine art by now and between them can show all you want to know about snares, they are also well versed in the legalities of setting snares.

There should be several threads on here about snares, I clearly remember Ed talking about them at some point. Have a search around.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bothyman said:
The problem with snares are they aren't particular what they catch.
I remember going out with the dog and he disappeared, when he reappeared he had a snare round his foot with the peg still attached luckily the peg pulled out and he was not hurt, needless to say I went round and pulled everyone out never did find out who set them.
If you are going to set them set them away from where people go or you could have problems if you catch a Cat or a Dog.

As Mick says, be careful where you site them, if you haven't sited them properly and you catch an animal listed in Schedule 6 of the Wildlife and Country side act then you have commited an offence.

I suggest you have a read through this thread for the basics on the legalities of snaring or look up the CPS website for guidance on the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

Cheers,

Bam.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Realgar said:
If you want to use snares in this country they must be free running. Snares which lock ( ie get tighter as the animal struggles ) are illegal - and rightly so.
It's also illegal to set one and fail to return within 12 hours and to set them around badger sets.

Personally I prefer the locking snares for various reasons, most of them being animal wellfare reasons in my opinion...however, as Realgear points out...they are illegal in this country so DON'T use them!

I'm not sure you have to return within 12 hours though, the wording on the CPS website is quite specific in that you have to check them once a day so that's 24 hours not 12. In reality I would advise that you check them at least twice or maybe three times in that period to prevent prolonged suffering of any prey you have caught.

Go read this if you want to know more:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section12/chapter_n.html#_Toc44654995

Hope that helps,

Bam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE