Smart meters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A little update on my Mums meter... Apparently the meter had stopped working and they had to send the installer round to check it. It turns out smart meters don't like power cuts and it needed a visit to reset it!

• Haha
Reactions: Mesquite

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
We enquired about installing one only to be told we were already on one. We don’t have a display. They don’t save anyone money they just show you it dripping out of your account. If 1% of us change the menu or cut down on showers because The meter is ”over budget”, I’d be amazed.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
A little update on my Mums meter... Apparently the meter had stopped working and they had to send the installer round to check it. It turns out smart meters don't like power cuts and it needed a visit to reset it!
That’s quite rubbish. We get at least one or two power cuts here a year. My meters are in. The display thing is in a drawer and I’m just using energy when I need to.

Reactions: gg012

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
That’s quite rubbish. We get at least one or two power cuts here a year. My meters are in. The display thing is in a drawer and I’m just using energy when I need to.
I couldn't find out much about power cuts and smart meters. The installer seemed clear a power cut was to blame and my mum had had a power cut for an hour or so just before the meter stopped working. Who knows, perhaps it was the type of cut? I used to live somewhere where the network would automatically switch sectuons of the grid on and off to isolate a fault and you could end up with several powercuts over a few minutes - that was quite harmful to sensitive equipment as it would reboot and then go off before sorting itself out.

My mum is not bothering with the in home display. Just as well as apparently the installer has a customer on their 5th one and it still doesnt connect to the meter.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
My mum is not bothering with the in home display. Just as well as apparently the installer has a customer on their 5th one and it still doesnt connect to the meter.
Mine connected OK. I might have a look at it in the winter when the central heating goes on just to see what thermostat sweat spot to use versus increased usage.

I think the in home displays can be confusing for some folk and also can frighten people to switch essential heating off.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
We are now on the latest smart meters, we were on gen1 smart meters, which of course wouldn't work 'smart' when we switched supply. Then I got home one evening and started to cook tea to discover no gas. So we had to have new meters fitted. It seems that the meters can 'lock out' if they disconnect from each other as it can assume it's been moved/stolen etc. Well that's grand I thought, glad it happened in summer so didn't need the heating on

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've had brown outs and blackouts in this and our last house without issues to smart meters.

My partner keeps a eye on ours and she does change her habits in the day so we have reduced our usage of gas and to some extent electricity. Having solar electricity during the day isn't often a issue for over half the year. I don't think we're alone because both our parents do similar. My sister, or rather BiL does similar.

I do think there's a big attitude thing going on. If you want to make use of them and benefit from then you will. If you only see them as useless and pointless you'll most likely not even bother to give them a chance. It's a bit of a marmite thing without anything in between liking or hating them.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think most people are intelligent enough to work out the pros and cons themselves.

My Mum wanted a smart meter as it was advertised as something that would automatically send readings as she was struggling to read her meter.

Unfortunately that's not been the case so far, the new meter is having problems sending the readings and the new meter does not show the readings so my mum cannot read it.

The current 'solution' is for a friend to drive round and read it for her. Not very smart or green.

Not really a question of liking or hating the things but it is annoying as the problems are not uncommon.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We are now on the latest smart meters, we were on gen1 smart meters, which of course wouldn't work 'smart' when we switched supply. Then I got home one evening and started to cook tea to discover no gas. So we had to have new meters fitted. It seems that the meters can 'lock out' if they disconnect from each other as it can assume it's been moved/stolen etc. Well that's grand I thought, glad it happened in summer so didn't need the heating on
Interesting thanks, perhaps something similar happened to my mums during the power cut. The technology does seem to be rather flaky and some meters struggle to connect to the IHD as well as send readings.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
At my mums again and the post has just delivered two letters, both reminding her of the appointment to fix the meter, the appointment being 5 days ago... (I know some people claim the meters are smart but i didn't expect time travel).

On the plus side a different make of IHD was left. Sadly this one also doesn't connect and it hasn't been supplied with a PIN for the PIN protected menu.

I'm beginning to think the IHDs need something pressing on the meter for them to connect but can't find anything online that's helpful. Anyone know?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE