Smoking food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I got a hot smoker for Christmas, so thought I'd try it out last night.
I has some venison I was going to cook anyway so decided to try and smoke them.
The instructions say you only need about a teaspoon of sawdust which I was unsure about but followed the instructions anyway (unusal for a bloke I know). I expected it to take 30 - 40 minuets to cook but when I checked it at 30, not only was it cooked but a little over done ! I'll know for next time.

A good pressie and I can see it getting regular use.

Cheers

Mark

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
looks like a cool thing, fast and doesn't use up a lot of sawdust.
What did you smoke? I dried some moose meat some days ago and it came out great, would be a nice thing to try smoking meat next time.

cheers
Abbe

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Did anyone see Hugh F-W's home made smoker on the River Cottage Christmas programme? Now there's a challenge.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The smoker came from SWMBO (sorry Kath). She got it out of a catalogue, I'll find out which one and let you know. It's made from stainless steel, about 18 x 12 inchs by about 5 or 6 deep. Powered by 2 meths burners beneath the box.
This is a hot smoker so it cooks the food as well.

The cold smoker is the one HFW made with an old wooden barrel, a 5 gallen drum and some pipe. The metal drum burns the dust. The smoke goes through the pipe and cools down enough so when it enters the wooden barrel it preserves rather than cooks the meat.

Cheers

Mark

leon-1

falcon said:
Did anyone see Hugh F-W's home made smoker on the River Cottage Christmas programme? Now there's a challenge.

Yep, good program, interesting to see that they used to use cold smoking more than hot smoking (I was cooking for the family at the time so thought it a good program to watch in between times). :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE