Good Times and Good Food with Dave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Kept dinner simple tonight, since it's the calm before the storm. Pan fried steaks in my cast Iron skillet. I tried a coulette cut steak today for the first time, cooked medium. Over cooked it a bit, I wanted medium rare. The other is a NY strip, cooked done (GF preference).

Used the Nordsmith Canteen Knife for the honors. The handle is a work of art and the LTWK team did an amazing job with all the contours.

0QHtszF.jpg

3AOa2Qq.jpg

K4gX2kA.jpg

Reactions: Diamond Dave

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
First time cooking a Turkey. I was supposed to just cook the Turkey but Covid happened and I had to rush and put together a couple of sides. Very basic spread but hey, gotta adapt.

I used the Turkey bag method and it came out moist. I brined it for 12hrs, should’ve been 48hrs. The drippings made an amazing gravy.

First Turkey completed, it came out pretty decent, I’ll take that as a win. Rib roast for Christmas next.

XK8Mes9.jpg

N9g67tR.jpg

lV5E677.jpg

Reactions: John Fenna

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Used leftovers to make an old classic school cafeteria- Turkey Slop.

I used up all the celery and carrots, so it's just leftover turkey, Turkey dripping, milk, flour, and some seasoning- over mash.

Had This for lunch and really enjoyed it!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Reactions: Tsantsa

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Cajun Chicken Stew

I got inspired by a forum buddy who posted up his mother in laws Creole Chicken Stew.

Chicken thigh
Celery
Bell pepper
Onion
Garlic
Chili
Chicken stock
Cajun seasoning
Salt and pepper
Green onion

Browned the chicken
6awh4rs.jpg

Browned the roux and then adds the veggies. I chickened put on browning the tux more, things heat up so fast when it's already hot and I was afraid of ruining it and having to start again with little time and hungry bellies to fill.
Ys0L3DS.jpg

Everything mingling and percolating
siF8xWo.jpg

On the plate
hlz7TbQ.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
A few weeks ago I made my first legit roux and I chickened out with the color development, I didn't get it brown enough in fear it would burn.

Tonight was the rematch. "Man vs Roux II"

I used Isaac Toups (chef and author of "Chasing the Gator: the New Cajun Cooking"

I'm really enjoying the book. It's full of stories of his upbringing and the food culture in Cajun country.

Cooking vessel: Dutch oven.

Roux: 1/2 cup four, 1/2 cup grape seed oil. Stirred until it was the color of milk chocolate, then threw in-

Trinity: Bell pepper, onion, 3 ribs celery- diced. 10 cloves of garlic minced.

Beer to deglaze

Browned chicken thighs (seasoned) in oven for 20 mins and then added it to the Dutch oven alone with 4 bay leaves

XMs90UL.jpg

Simmered for 1.5 hours, was supposed to be 3 hours but we got hungry. Taste tested a few times and seasoned it with a Cajun spice blend.

Final product:

nyI1FX7.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
The last thing I cooked was for NYE and I made BBQ bacon wrapped jumbo
Shrimp. I had left over bacon and I tried the cooking bacon in a skillet with a little water and it came out so crispy! I put bbq sauce over the bacon too and they became bbq bacon chips

Prep work:
pqSdnWw.jpg

Final product:
pVDNpEh.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Today I bring you two Asian dishes.

First up, a braised prawn w/ roe- cooked in coconut juice, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and a little chicken bouillon. It’s a childhood favorite of mine.

fqhD1sT.jpg

wmsbseA.jpg

Now we travel to South Korea for a spicy squid served with udon noodles. We have carrots, green onions, white onion, garlic, Korean chili concoction, soy sauce, and squid.

VAfXFZu.jpg

yMON1aJ.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
I haven’t been cooking much lately but tonight I made a deconstructed “California Roll” called a SUSHI BAKE with salmon. It’s kind of a crazy idea- it’s basically a salmon California roll casserole

A mixture of shredded imitation crab meet (1 cup), 2 baked salmon filets (cooked to just barely one) broken up (reserving a 1/4 as topping), a block or cream cheese and 2 tbsp sriracha all mixed together.

Pour mixture over sushi rice in a casserole dish. Bake at 450 for 10-15 mins. You take roasted seaweed paper and make tacos. I used the salmon and baked it in the oven to crisp it up like bacon and then used it as a topping. Add some avocado and you’ll have the best ever california roll.

jXrqPzk.jpg

XyD4WJ5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE