Good Times and Good Food with Dave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Heavily seasoned with salt and pepper, basted in Kerrygold butter , garlic and rosemary. While I was prepping the steaks and letting it get to room temp, I used a recipe from Ethan Beckers Joy of Cooking cook book. I threw in potatoes, Brussel sprouts and green beans with seasoning onto a foil packet and threw it in the oven. I only had a skillet to clean.

DzKCgkm.jpg
x3IYnLP.jpg
iLOsh2V.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Heavily seasoned with salt and pepper, basted in Kerrygold butter , garlic and rosemary. While I was prepping the steaks and letting it get to room temp, I used a recipe from Ethan Beckers Joy of Cooking cook book. I threw in potatoes, Brussel sprouts and green beans with seasoning onto a foil packet and threw it in the oven. I only had a skillet to clean.

iLOsh2V.jpg

About a months mortgage payment right there all glistening and juicy pink....

Welcome to the forum Sir.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I’m not vegetarian. My wife is, unless the meat that we buy to eat has had a good life. That is an expensive way to eat meat so we do not eat it very often, roughly four times a year.
Your pictures make my mouth water!
I will remember the next time I buy a steak from our ethical source. Thank you!
S

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Steak au poivre (black pepper steak with cream sauce) and Hasselback Potatoes. (Recipe from THE JOY OF COOKING - 2019 Ed.)

I used a nice bottle of cognac to cook it up, which I drank after dinner. The BK5 is courtesy of @Don W who hosted a generous giveaway and I was lucky enough to win it!

TaZftuB.jpg

2lFVcIh.jpg

RnzMpJI.jpg

cek3N1u.jpg

Utibp9F.jpg

s2Qztds.jpg

eEN4KA5.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Thai Drunken Noodles
Im currently living in an area where the food choices are very limited but it’s a good thing there’s well supplied markets here and if I crave a dish bad enough, I can scrounge up the ingredients to make it myself. I usually watch YouTube videos, recipe websites, or buy cookbooks. I’ve been craving Thai lately. It’s tasty sweet spicy and hits the spot!

mqatcKY.jpg

Last edited:

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Hello friends!

Today I made another recipe from Ethan Becker (Becker knives) family cook book, The Joy of Cooking:

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

First I spatchcocked the chicken by removing the spine (saving it in the freezer with the giblets). I don’t have heavy duty kitchen sheers so I decided to use good ole 1095 crovan by the way of the ESEE/ Becker collaboration: The BK14 the EsKabar.

It was pretty easy removing the spine and then opening up the bird and located the keel bone. Made a few incisions and removed it so that the chicken will lie flatter.

we tried an organic air chilled chicken and it came out really good. We left it outside to get to room temperature. Heavily seasoned it with salt, oil and poultry seasoning. Cut vegetables pretty big so they wouldn’t burn in the oven. Pretty basic medley- carrots, celery, onions, and elephant garlic. Coated it all with olive oil and an herb mix.

350 oven and it took an hour and 10 mins, last ten mins I had the oven at 400 to brown the skin

skin came out so flavorful and salty, the chicken meat was sweet and juicy, and the veggies were caramelized and sweet- the carrots tasted like candy! The garlic was sweet and fragrant.

SyXQ1iw.jpg

Q3vAwHC.jpg

R9ZRqPf.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
I made a Vietnamese dish tonight- “Shaken Beef s/ mushrooms on top of a baby spinach salad.”

I used 3 ribeyes and marinated it with salt, pepper, oyster sauce, low sodium soy sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic

it’s all cooked with green onion, mushrooms, a red onion, and garlic.

It’s supposed to be served on watercress but I couldn’t find any so I used baby spinach. I used a lime, salt and pepper dressing.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Last edited:

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Shepherds Pie (cheated w/ instant mashed potatoes)

I love Shepherds Pie and this one came out ok, not as deep and savory as I would have liked. I will try again. It was filling and hearty! I’ll use Kent Rollins recipe next time, as was recommended to me.

browning the lamb
py0EPls.jpg

Made a garlic butter mushroom side
WZBruMD.jpg

I couldn’t get the top to brown and it was getting late so we ate it as is.
MCD0ANK.jpg

tV03d0k.jpg

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
It’s been chilly lately and I’ve been craving a hearty soup to warm up my bones. I found a really easy bratwurst soup recipe and I thought adding some southern style drop dumplings would make an awesome meal so I gave it a try.

Bratwurst Soup w/ Vegetables and Southern Style Drop Dumplings

Really simple, everything on its on already is delicious. Beer bratwurst (crumbled), potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and beef broth. At the end add salt, pepper and if need be- chicken or beef bouillon cubes. Season to taste

[IMG]

Brown the meat and build a fond
[IMG]

Add all the ingredients:
[IMG]

After 20 mins:
[IMG]

Simple drop dumplings mix:
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Good eating:

[IMG]

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
I’m trying to nurse my GF back into health today. She’s on strict orders: rest, water, vitamins, and soup…

BECKER CHICKEN SOUP

Went back and forth between the Knulujulu and ky chefs knife

61ywR1A.jpg

DhwVbO4.jpg

Salted, floured, and then trying to brown it, put too much chicken in at once it kinda boiled. The flour did start to build a fond.

smRwxc4.jpg

Cleaned out the fridge and threw in bok choy into the mix

yrAgpN0.jpg

Simmering… percolating and mingling going on-

zicHK8a.jpg

I was going to make some southern style drop dumplings but got lazy and ate it with rice

iOwS5dU.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE