Small or Scandinavian Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
After reading the excellent guide by British Red regarding axes and what to look for in choosing one, i've been taking some time to work out which one is best for general use and got it down to the Gransfor Small Forest or Scandinavian Forest axe.

Judging on what to look for, i feel the Small Forest may be a little small (18" going on the armpit to hand measurement ) as mine is apprx 21" size wise, but then again the Scandinavian is a little too big being 25".

Any tips for my first axe size, go for a forest to begin with or the Scandinavian? It'll have general use and nothing heavy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd take the Scandinavian out of the two - the small is big and heavy for simple cook fires and too small for two handed work....neither fish nor fowl in my view. To me, out of the GB range something like a wildlife hatchet is fine for light pack carry and cook fires, a Scandinavian is carryable but up to heavier work.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
both more expensive than a cegga....
:D

Tbh i'd like a general one to get the hang of then go for a more ' personalised ' axe in the future, it helps to know what you want after using one for some time ;D

Also i believe the waiting list is abit long for my impatience lol

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Scandinavian for me - I have two and will be selling one soon since the first shows every sign of being indestructible. I got rid of my SFA the day after I bought it. I was bitterly disappointed in what everyone said was THE axe. It's too small to do proper axe work and too big and heavy to justify packing just for kindling, which a mini handles beautifully.

The Scandinavian makes the SFA look like a box of crayons and, ultimately, will last you longer because you won't want or need to upscale any time soon after buying one.

I've only once heard someone say they thought the Scandinavian was too big but I've heard a lot say the SFA was too small for general camp work.

That said if you've never used either then you'd probably be deleriously happy no matter which you bought...

:D

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
when i picked up (as in looked at not bought) a SFA recently, i couldnt believe how light and thin it was. the Scandinavian looked to be a lot more useful for general use, but slightly heavier, so maybe less convenient on a long hike. only really good for light work, and i use a cold steel hawk for the sort of stuff i would use a SFA for...

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
you could always buy both and sell one later... it would probably be the SFA that you would sell, and i wouldnt mind having one anyway, so i would be interested in one second hand ;) :D

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
just my 2 pence worth, but i have the GB small splitting axe. its brilliant. light, small-ish, yet can be used to carve, prep firewood (big and small) as well go at some fairly heavy stuff...great little axe and has now replaced my SFA as my everday bushy carry...like i said, just my 2 pence worth...

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
i ordered a SFA for now, although the general thoughts is the Scan is a better all rounder, the overall size is a slight drawback atm, i know its only 7" more but for carrying around everyday i'm more towards the SFA.

Saying that, off to the Dartmoor meet next week so i can put it to some use i hope, so there maybe a 2nd hand one going Scorpio ;)

Scandinavian would be my choice. Sold my Small FA after comparing them for a while...

Use a light tomahawk (Apache model from Ragnar) which is GREAT...: http://ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

Cold Steel trail hawk is just a bit of an in-between the Apache 'hawk and the Sc. Fa weight wise

So general use and nothing heavy (OP).... mmmm go for a hawk or if you truly want an axe: Sc FA

Just my two euro cents...

Grtz Johan

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd take the Scandinavian out of the two - the small is big and heavy for simple cook fires and too small for two handed work....neither fish nor fowl in my view. To me, out of the GB range something like a wildlife hatchet is fine for light pack carry and cook fires, a Scandinavian is carryable but up to heavier work.

My current prime choices are either the Wetterlings wildlife (pretty much the same as the GB) and the Scandinavian, for the same reason BR states.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Tamarack have informed me that they have no SFA's in stock and aren't looking to receive any soon, so looks like i may go for a Scandinavian after all if they have that one in stock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE