How does Prandi compare to Stubai axes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I am curious about the Prandi axe with splitting wedge and Stubai Superspalter. How do these two compare to each other? Is the steel noticeably different in them? Does anyone have experience with either or both "in the field"?

I would like to find one in a ~2lb/1Kg with a ~24"/600mm haft, and a heavier ~4lb/1.8Kg with a ~27"/700mm haft. I don't specifically require one of these two if there is a better option out there at a similar price as long as it is a similar "wedge" splitter. I have a Swedish 'rectangular' splitter and a German bird's beak splitter so, I am not looking to duplicate those; especially that ~6lb German bird's beak model. In terms of price, I'm looking to stay around $100USD at my door for other options. Both of the heavier models are available in the USA for ~$75 plus shipping and taxes (free shipping with some orders and they will be tax-free for me or, worst case 8.25% for sales tax in certain cases). The price isn't a hard limit but, I hesitate to spend ~$150 on an item like this with more limited applications than a more general-purpose axe which sees a good deal of use on my farm property.

I have some Gransfor Bruk, Hult Bruk, Hultafor, Ochsenkopf, Prandi, and a few other random axes for comparisons and contrasts so, contrasts with any of those are good for me.

TIA,
Sid

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I have two Prandi axes the small camp hatchet and the Yankee hatchet they both excellent tools. Not used the stubai tools so I can't make the comparison. but the prandi yankee hatchet I have had great results with because the heavier head there isn't a lot it won't split. If you combined it with a spitting wedge I would say you would be on to a winning combination

Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE