Small Kent Pattern axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I am a full on axe junky, I seem to have a steady stream of axes flowing through the workshop. I get them fix them use them and then pass them; on occasion one seems to just fit right and I keep it, at least for a while. This little Kent pattern is a keeper and a great little carver. At 700grams all in, you can happily swing away all day and I find the longer cutting face of a Kent pattern perfect for my taste. All in this cost under 10£ and a little time to make.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work :)

Curious as to why you align the grain across the handle rather than through it? One way is much stronger than the other :)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Nice work :)

Curious as to why you align the grain across the handle rather than through it? One way is much stronger than the other :)
Well glad you asked - I’m not so sure it matters. I know all the books go on about having the grain running the other way, quarter sawn if you like but I have made well over 20 handles like this with the grain running as it would in the tree (I go for the cutting face pointing towards the center of the tree) and have yet to have one fail due to splitting and you can see the old handle had the same grain orientation too. I also make long bows and rarely use quarter sawn boards preferring to use the natural lamination that trees make on their own with the buildup of early and late wood, my thinking is trees have been doing all right for millions of years and I like the way the grain makes a symmetrical pattern when carved like this. I just wanted to buck the trend and have yet to notice a difference, although I think my way has better shock absorbing properties but maybe that’s me just mentally gilding my own Lilly so to speak. I use axes every day. That said it is only my pet theory and I love a good debate. Any engineers out there who have comparative tests on the different tensile strength of ash with different grain orientation?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one little job, I just got hold of a old little Kent Pattern Axe as well, was just carving a handle for it this weekend. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah with bows you need the grain running across rather than through, for the springiness Not sure it would work the other way somehow :D. I doubt it will make too much difference on a hatchet, but i wouldn't want the springiness in a larger axe. The shock absorption you describe is the wood giving a little. If it can give, it can go :) I much prefer a solid handle than a giving one. It transfers more power into the cut rather than losing energy into the handle.:)

Well glad you asked - I’m not so sure it matters. I know all the books go on about having the grain running the other way, quarter sawn if you like but I have made well over 20 handles like this with the grain running as it would in the tree (I go for the cutting face pointing towards the center of the tree) and have yet to have one fail due to splitting and you can see the old handle had the same grain orientation too. I also make long bows and rarely use quarter sawn boards preferring to use the natural lamination that trees make on their own with the buildup of early and late wood, my thinking is trees have been doing all right for millions of years and I like the way the grain makes a symmetrical pattern when carved like this. I just wanted to buck the trend and have yet to notice a difference, although I think my way has better shock absorbing properties but maybe that’s me just mentally gilding my own Lilly so to speak. I use axes every day. That said it is only my pet theory and I love a good debate. Any engineers out there who have comparative tests on the different tensile strength of ash with different grain orientation?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They are not wood :) And i'm sure that an aircraft wing impacting a tree at 30+ MPH would break :)

I see it more as having give prevents things from going:) Aircraft wings, suspension etc. it’s the give that stops them going. If it breaks I'll post some pics.;)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Or to put it another way, its when stuff stops giving that it goes, regardless of materials:). Glad you like it folks, it seems to be just the right weight and shape to use all day. Just in from the shop and its still in one piece, go figure:).

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=628&start=15 well worth a read, aparently relative tangential and radial strength (compressive and tensile) is negligable in ash.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Love it, it looks great - although I'm no engineer I'm sure there's much merit in what you say about the handle, makes a lot of sense to me.............I'm going to do a bit of reading but I know that I prefer a bit of give in anything timber................atb mac

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
picked 1 of these up from a car boot last weekend for a pound, it has surface rust with a couple of nicks and a little rolled edge but the metals good, wondered what the head style was called! nice handle , wish I had that skill with woodworking! how did you derust the head? does soaking it in vinegar work? (no idea where I heard that!)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
picked 1 of these up from a car boot last weekend for a pound, it has surface rust with a couple of nicks and a little rolled edge but the metals good, wondered what the head style was called! nice handle , wish I had that skill with woodworking! how did you derust the head? does soaking it in vinegar work? (no idea where I heard that!)

You can use vinegar, I don’t, I just give it a good rub with a wire brush then concentrate on getting a really good sharp edge. I also like to have a nice polished poll. The carving of a handle is one of the best parts of the whole process. Don’t forget to post pics when you’re done, plenty of axe lovers on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE