Kent pattern axe for carving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'm not super happy with my current axe options for carving.

I was wondering if people have experiences of Kent pattern axes for carving? A lot of serious carvers seem to use axes with a very long edge which seems to fit the bill with the Kent style.

Any info and experiences appreciated, or any other options for axes?

Thanks in advance :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm not super happy with my current axe options for carving.

I was wondering if people have experiences of Kent pattern axes for carving? A lot of serious carvers seem to use axes with a very long edge which seems to fit the bill with the Kent style.

Any info and experiences appreciated, or any other options for axes?

Thanks in advance :)

TBH not brilliant as standard but, if you're prepared to modify one, they can make excellent carving axes.

See here:

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I used one for several years albeit with a slightly different grind and it was great. However since getting one of the Robin Wood ones I haven't looked back

Sent from Somerset using magic

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
TBH not brilliant as standard but, if you're prepared to modify one, they can make excellent carving axes.

See here:

Thanks Andy :) what a transformation. It looks like a lot of fun too, and I have useable axes to keep me going if I do it in stages. Tempting. What weight head did you go for?

I used one for several years albeit with a slightly different grind and it was great. However since getting one of the Robin Wood ones I haven't looked back

Hmmmm the Robin wood axe is at the top of my list for a brand new ready to use axe. Which size did you go for? I like the control of a light axe but I find a heavier axe much more efficient in the early stages of roughing out. Unsure which is best for me

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks Andy :) what a transformation. It looks like a lot of fun too, and I have useable axes to keep me going if I do it in stages. Tempting. What weight head did you go for?

Hmmmm the Robin wood axe is at the top of my list for a brand new ready to use axe. Which size did you go for? I like the control of a light axe but I find a heavier axe much more efficient in the early stages of roughing out. Unsure which is best for me
I went for the small one as I have a couple of larger axes should I require them. It's spot on for spoons, small kuksa's and the likes....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

It started off as a Chip Chop No2 which, I think, is just short of the 2Lb mark - it finished at 1Lb 6oz. It's heavy enough to have momentum, but light enough to use for quite a while.

Ignoring the 'kiln time', it probably only tool me a couple of hours to do :)

Perhaps not obvious in the photos, but the grind is completely one-sided - i.e. a right handed carving axe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE