Vintage Kent Felling Axe Head found on River Thames - ID help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldfatherthames

Feb 23, 2023
London
Hi Everyone. I'm a mudlark on the River Thames. I recently found a pretty bashed up and pitted axe head, and have tried to clean it up as well as possible. I think it was made in the late 19th century, and has since been used as a tool during WWI or II by the War Dept., or similar.
I think it is a Kent Felling design. It has a crudely marked broad arrow next to four counter stamped maker's marks reading 'W.DLA'. I think this is either a maker or acronym for Crown Property/War Dept, or similar. What do you guys think? Any help at all much appreciated. Thank you!

Images here: https://thamesmudlarkdiary.wordpress.com/kent-felling-axe/

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
If you are on facebook, try the axe junkies group or better still the billhook junkies group. There are lots of folks on there that are i to their 19th century tool makers and might have an idea.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
As said above, that's not a Kent pattern axe.
The arrow head does suggest military use. I don't know when that symbol came in to use, but I'm sure a quick Googling will answer that. That will give you a maximum age for it.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’m not sure of the maker but WDLA stands for War Dept. Land Agency and these axes were government property for use on the land as part of the war effort. It’s an axe head from a small 5lb felling axe.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
My best guess from its construction is that it’s from around the time of the Great War (1914-18) almost certainly used on land under the control of the WDLA who were responsible for creating many of our air bases and gunnery ranges that are dotted around the UK. Tools often went “Walkies” and ended up in civilian hands In the following years. There is no telling how it ended up in the Thames.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE