Sloe's.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
We stick a bottle of red wine or two on them and leave it for a few more months and you have slow port- tasty stuff! :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get some good chocolate of your choice, melt it and drop the sloes in to coat them; let them cool, then attempt to make them last more than ten minutes before you scoff the lot!

Another thing I do is to pour a bottle of cheap dry sherry onto them and leave a few weeks, doesn't taste at all like sherry but even if you don't like the taste it makes a great flavouring for cooking, i.e. gravy, sauces and dressings.........Hope this helps :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Macaroon says, dipped in good bitter plain chocolate they make a nice grown up treat for a pudding for two in front of a roaring fire. Or if you're making something like a Christmas pudding or Dundee cake they are really good stoned, chopped and mixed in. Can also be a pretty good accompaniment to a good cheese board.
hungry_smiley.gif

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Boil them up, squish the stones out, add sugar and you have a sauce for ice cream. Add a bit of vinegar and spices and less sugar and it's a pickle that goes with cheese. You'll lose some of the alcohol in the boiling but there should still be enough to add a bit of alcoholic fire if you only boil them for a few minutes, alcohol takes a surprising amount of tme to evaporate off completely.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I don't have any sloe gin on the go this year but I do have damson gin, having found a handy tree. When I checked the interweb for a recipe, I too found someone above's sugestion of throwing a bottle of cheap sherry on the damsons when you've strained the good stuff off.

Mine is ready for straining so I think a trip to Lidl down the road is on order to give it a try!

Iechyd Da!

Gareth

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could go for making sloe jelly. We had far too many sloes this year, so had a crack at it - its delicious. One of those jellies like cranberry or redcurrant that has enough flavour to go with meat as well as on toast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE