sleeping on the floor crew

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
okay i am going to be going camping on Friday and its going to get down to minus five and i was wondering do i take my wool blanket as well as my sleeping bag and roll mat also i will deffo's be taking my bivi bag but i tell u what i haven't kipped on the floor in years a hammock lover and proud but it will be fun regardless

also any other tips for a man who usually kips in a hammock but i am looking forward to the change

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Drew, As Rich says take it all,as there is nothing worse than laying shivering during the night, it really puts a dampener on your weekend. Also are you able to have a fire? if you are,and you can sleep next to it,try and get yourself slightly higher than the fire, as i have found, if you are on the ground next to it,at the same height,then sometimes the wood on the fire can block some of the radiated heat,plus as we all know heat rises. So even if you can get maybe 6 or 7 inches higher than the fire,you will feel more heat,than laying on the ground next to it. What i have done when there are no logs to raise you up, is to look for a shallow dip in the ground and have the fire in it,whilst laying next to it, its suprising how much more warmth you receive.

Anyway good luck,and have a great time.

Cheers Stuart.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
if you're man enough to just bivvi it and not use a tent like a big girl ;) then dig yourself a small ditch to sleep in and avoid the wind resistance on your body!

me and a buddy done it in a very open field, the winds were heavy and it was freezing, but digging a ditch and layering it with dry grass was probably what kept us alive, it surely wasn't the undercooked pork and beans!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yeah, keep eating to feed the machine dont over do it on the hot drinks as you will end up having to pee more often.
Avoid all alcohol, get your sleepingbag out in plenty of time and give it chance to reloft and if you have a good drinks bottle that doesnt leak fill with hot water and throw it in your bag half hour before you go to bed to give it chance to warm the bag up.

Last time i was out i had a small reflector behind my Honey stove and kept feeding that untill the early hours.
Make sure you have a good reliable way of warming up quickly if you wake up feeling cold.
I preped some wood and fire kit so i could relight the Honey if i needed to rewarm quick by having the fire going and a brew on at the same time.

Jackdaw

Simples:

1. Make sure your sleeping bag is warm enough (don't just go by the minimum rating as this is just a guide and is the "keep you alive" level, not the "nice nights sleep" level.). As a guide, the minimum civvy sleeping bag allowed for use in Norway is the Softie 9.

2. Get out of the wind. A bivvy bag will help masively, but unless I was in a tree line I would be looking to put up a basha/poncho/latest civvy gear that is basically a waterproof sheet but you've just been charge a fortune for.

Have fun. Oh, if you need to have a fire then your sleeping bag is wrong.

Jack

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Insulation is the key here drew, if you can put some spruce bows down first then your mat, 2 mats are better unless its thick. It's a good idea to get some wood and tinder ready to go for when you get up. Have your stove brew kit water etc to hand for when you wake up so you can have a nice hot brew before you get up. Your bag should be fine, I personally find it's warmer in my boxers, with maybe a base layer if it's really cold.

Keep hydrated as it will mean you stay warmer, eat a nice meal for dinner too it will also help keep the chill off, make sure it has a good amount of coplex carbs to keep your motabelisum going.

Most of all enjoy mate, that's what it's all about :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Im out next weekend and deffo not going on the floor, i will dig the hammock and underquilt out as well as my big bag.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
pack it all just incase but generally a have slept out many times to -10 just with a basic rollmat and issue sleeping bag and overhead basha with no problems. If you take it all and least if you do get cold you can add kit.

other tips have a hot drink before getting in sleeping bag.
and layers of clothing will just be as good if at all necessary

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Don't let the temp bother you mate, its like a normal night, just colder

I've slept on my Neoair with a warm down bag under my tarp slung as a A frame shelter with open ends in -5. If your bag is good then you'll be fine, if you're worried about the temp of your bag use a bivvy bag, Wool blanket in top, and extra insulation on your body.

Just follow good campcraft - warm up before you go to bed, wear dry clothes, make sure your feet are dry and warned up before you put socks on, don't breathe into your bag etc

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
havant you got one of them -25 arctic bags drew that should keep you warm regards dave
ps havant read al the book yet

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Drew, if you've been warm enough in your hammock you'll be even warmer on the ground and you'll be carrying a lot less kit.

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
Sleep under a bush or a tree, there is a microclimate that is a few degrees warmer than sleeping in the open.
Don't sleep with a dog, they may be warm, but that is because they ease themselves into your bed and you out, all without waking you. :)
A beany makes a big difference and bodywarmer.
I suppose if you are digging trenches, bury a line of hot rocks under you.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Im having the same dilemma drew. Just bougt a wool blanket and an army arctic bag, and will be getting a alpkit dirtbag (or multimat adventure superlite 25) to go under me. Got a basic ccf too which i might use, although some boughs would do the trick if the mat isnt up to the job. Gonna get one of those reflective mat things as well, just in case

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE