sleeping on the floor crew

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll be taking this at the weekend if it's any help Drew ..

Canvas hot tent and wood stove
Ajungilak cotton and nylon bivvy bag
Alpkit Pipedream 600 bag
Exped Downmat 7DLX
NATO 5 season CCF pad
Oookworks tub floor
Cheap poly tarp groundsheet

I'll sleep in Woolpower 200g top and bottoms, Heat Holder socks and Ninjaclava

Bring on the cold I say :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
thanks guys
gray i wont need a tent my tarp and i are well practiced at this because before i got a hammock i used to do it all the time

and i new everything u have all said i was just checking that i was right in my thinking and am going to be bringing my thermerest and merino wool bed mat and my minus 75 arctic sleeping bag and my bivi bag and a merino wool blanket so i will deffo's be warm enough i just needed to make sure that i was thinking along the right lines considering i haven't camped on the ground in five years

oh and i am actually bringing more gear to kip on the floor than i would be if i was hammocking

drew

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
gray i wont need a tent my tarp and i are well practiced at this because before i got a hammock i used to do it all the time

and i new everything u have all said i was just checking that i was right in my thinking and am going to be bringing my thermerest and merino wool bed mat and my minus 75 arctic sleeping bag and my bivi bag and a merino wool blanket so i will deffo's be warm enough i just needed to make sure that i was thinking along the right lines considering i haven't camped on the ground in five years

oh and i am actually bringing more gear to kip on the floor than i would be if i was hammocking

drew

There's chance of 30mph north westerlies on Saturday night Drew, with temps already in the minuses it's going to make for a cold night if you're in the wind at all. A low flattish tarp would work well I think, without trees though it's down to poles, tie outs and your imagination.

Your sleep gear sounds good to me, the car's only 20m away so it doesn't even have to fit in your pack, just chuck it all in and see how it goes.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
There's chance of 30mph north westerlies on Saturday night Drew, with temps already in the minuses it's going to make for a cold night if you're in the wind at all. A low flattish tarp would work well I think, without trees though it's down to poles, tie outs and your imagination.

Your sleep gear sounds good to me, the car's only 20m away so it doesn't even have to fit in your pack, just chuck it all in and see how it goes.

yep thats exactly what i will be doing mate and i will have bivi poles with me so don't worry

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
digging yourself in also gives you an excuse to buy and carry one these beasts! http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Special-Forces-Shovel.html

I'm guessing your gona be sleeping in a woodland of some kind, but it still helps keep you under the wind and that little bit warmer! A real test of manliness would be to camp out only with what you can carry to your spot, no car cheating! ;)

good luck mate, it's gona be frigging freezing and windy!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
digging yourself in also gives you an excuse to buy and carry one these beasts! http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Special-Forces-Shovel.html

I'm guessing your gona be sleeping in a woodland of some kind, but it still helps keep you under the wind and that little bit warmer! A real test of manliness would be to camp out only with what you can carry to your spot, no car cheating! ;)

good luck mate, it's gona be frigging freezing and windy!

i have a metal folding shovel mate so i am good and thanks

drew

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Drew,

One solution which i use is, i put refletive heat foil under my mat. Use the kind they put behind radiators. The cold is reduced and warmth reflected back. I tend to only use a bivi bag all year round, so the secret is insulation. reflective foil is ligh easy to pack, if you going for it use two layers one on top of mat and one underneath.

S

leon-1

Surely digging yourself into a ditch would create a cold well/trap?

As long as you are not in a cold sump you won't notice the minor difference in temperature. Set up under a basha. If you split lock then you can lay lengths of turf on either side of the hole that you have made providing a deeper wall than you have actually dug. If you can block off the ends you can make a small micro climate for yourself. You will also want to get the bottom of the sides all the way down to the ground if possible.

If you're just using a bivvi bag on it's own try to find somewhere as sheltered as is humanly possible and pay plenty of attention to insulation against the ground as this is the area that will sap heat from your body faster than anywhere else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE