Sleeping bags - What does £60 buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
So it see that I'm being a tad ambitious with £60 for a bag that does it all.

Couple of things.

Just purchased the highlander so don't really want to fork out more for another pack and I do have a 65ltr if I really have to carry lots but I'm trying to experiment with going lighter.

I think the old adage of buy once buy right (something like that?) seems to apply to sleeping bags.

So new plan

Keep saving, up to the £100 ish mark for a really decent bag that will do for as many seasons as poss.

I just found my old army warm weather sleeping bag (same as the jungle bag?) , it was stuffed into a rucksack which I don't use, so I'm thinking of using this just now and through summer.

Can still be a bit chilly in the night/morning just now is there any easy way to boost the warmth when using this bag??

My first thought was again to pack a wool blanket as well as the warm weather bag.

Second thought was more about was under the ground, under my body in a hammock,so a sleeping pad of some type,I have heard good things about the British army roll mat (I do like army gear!) but this is a bulky option and maybe not keeping with lightening the load nor fit the 33ltr.

Thanks as always.

Buster

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I couldn't do an overnighter (comfortably) with a 33l bag unless there was food and water supplied, and absolute confidence on the weather. Factor in a tarp/bivvy bag, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, cooking gear, spare warm clothes/rain gear. 1 - 2 litres of water, food, first aid kit, fire lighting gear and that bag is overflowing.

Personally I'd rather underfill a much bigger bag than be playing Tetris on the morning I'm leaving camp with a tiny bag. Especially in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You can boost a Summer bag by adding a liner (or 2). Some folk like the silk ones but they leave me cold. Argos do a nice polyester one for about a tenner which works well for me. Snugpak have what they call a Thermalon liner, which is a 6' long tube of brushed, knitted polyester. A bit short for me but a very good liner IMO. None of them take up much space.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I meant to add I often carry a S10 respirator bag as well as the day sack,food/water/cooker goes in S10 and everything else in goes in day sack.

I will have a look at those liners,cheers.

Buster

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Good idea about increasing your budget. Will open up a load of new options for you.

You should have no worries getting your gear into a 33l pack. I know this because I've done an overnighter in February using the smaller forces 25 pack. I was warm, comfortable and ate very well indeed. I did a trip report and kit write up on here to show how I did it (check my previous threads). The only difference between you and I is that I'm a southerner from Kent and can get away with using a 3 season bag all year round. Scotland will be a different story in winter but if I was you I'd hold on to the arctic bag for winter camping and get a new bag that will be used for the rest of the year.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Good idea about increasing your budget. Will open up a load of new options for you.

You should have no worries getting your gear into a 33l pack. I know this because I've done an overnighter in February using the smaller forces 25 pack. I was warm, comfortable and ate very well indeed. I did a trip report and kit write up on here to show how I did it (check my previous threads). The only difference between you and I is that I'm a southerner from Kent and can get away with using a 3 season bag all year round. Scotland will be a different story in winter but if I was you I'd hold on to the arctic bag for winter camping and get a new bag that will be used for the rest of the year.
Did it all go in the bag. Or did you strap stuff to it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I just found you report,glad I'm not the only one to do an overnight with a day pack!

That ridge rest looks interesting,has anyone tried it compared to the British army roll mat??

Buster

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I just found you report,glad I'm not the only one to do an overnight with a day pack!

That ridge rest looks interesting,has anyone tried it compared to the British army roll mat??

Buster

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Yep all the gear went in the bag with just one exception - my foam roll mat which i strapped to the Base. The ridgerest is great, it's bulky but very light, it'll never let you down and also great at keeping you warm. Works well in a hammock too (albeit not as good as an underblanket imho). Obviously not as comfy as an inflatable mat but that's where you use a bit of bushcrafty knowledge to create a leaf litter mattress (or whatever material you have available).

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The warm weather bag sounds a great option for summer. You can make it a bit warmer by a decent self inflating mat - Alpkit does the Aero 180 for £45, and is well thought of, but something like a Multimat, Vango, ME, etc would all be fine - the more you pay the lighter/wamer/more comfortable it becomes. Army rollmats are not especially comfortable, and there is no way I'd go back to one if I could help it.You can boost it a little by putting a barrier between the ground and the mat - radiator backing sheet is popular and cheap.

And if its been compressed for a long time, the bag might be lofted up a bit by just washing it.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
£60???? 6 Czech bedrolls!

Or a selection of military surplus M90, M95, (European variations) possibly Carinthia 4 surplus for a little more...............

I use both a Czech bedroll and a ex British Army M90 pattern bag. The latter cost £20, but I've added a compression sack, liner and bivvy....total £50 The Czech bedroll £9.99,
although finding good ones is now hard. Extra fitted blankets are or were available for £5 (All obtained from MilitaryMart)

Taking this further...day pack £13..LK 35 sack...bigger? £40, ALICE, med or large.
Self inflating pad...£10 Trail from Thisisit Stores also online..............

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE