Sleeping bag purchase

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Zammo said:
Not really willing to pay at least an extra £45 for a centre zip, but each to their own.

Theres more of a difference than the central zip, the cut is quite different from the Nanok bags and they have much more insulation, especially underneath (useful when sleeping in a hammock.

The zip is of a much higher quality than the Nanok, it never snags or catches, theres also an internal baffle which helps keep the warm in. Oh and two zipped pockets for nick nacks just below the hood.

They are however quite expensive and the extra insulation means that they don't pack down into as small a bundle as the Nanoks.

I've lifted this from an earlier thread...

I was sleeping out under a hootchie on sat night (23rd Dec 06), About six miles north of Peebles, altitude about 370 and lowest temp through the night was about -4.

We were camped in a birch wood with some cover from prevailing winds provided by deadfall and gorse. I used a Thermarest closed cell mat, my girlfriend used a 3/4 Thermarest inflatable mat.

I slept in an RM Osprey with no clothes on and my head was slightly chilly at around 05:00 otherwise I was more than comfortable.

My girlfriend (who was dressed ) slept next to me in an RM Golden Eagle, she was also quite toasty, however she's a bit short and dissapeared into the bottom of the bag for an hour or so.

I also own a Nanok 0 degree bag and I used to have the -10, I found that they performed as well as the RM bags, however the RM bags have better zips and a better designed inner 'baffle' to keep the heat in. That said the RM bags are huge and don't readily pack down to a small size.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
not wishing to ‘dis’ Snugpak too much but from my experience their temperature ratings a somewhat optimistic!)

Agreed, I went out for a couple of days this time last year and froze my bum off. I was in a bag that was rated to about 10C but I sleep really hot so I thought it would be OK. Good job I had the Berghaus jacket and wooly hat on during the night, I think I actually woke up once warm!

It was so cold in the morning I got this roaring Beech fire going to thaw out and was sniffing and thinking to myself, huh, there must be some wood with resin or some kind of laytex in it as I could smell burning rubber. It was only when I looked down and saw my boots almost of fire that I realised how close I was to the fire. :eek: :lmao:

Take a Snugpak rating with a pinch of salt is my advice.

TomandAlanswinteradventure042.jpg

This pic just screams

"BREW TIME! :lmao:

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Simon E said:
Agreed, I went out for a couple of days this time last year and froze my bum off. I was in a bag that was rated to about 10C but I sleep really hot so I thought it would be OK. Good job I had the Berghaus jacket and wooly hat on during the night, I think I actually woke up once warm!

It was so cold in the morning I got this roaring Beech fire going to thaw out and was sniffing and thinking to myself, huh, there must be some wood with resin or some kind of laytex in it as I could smell burning rubber. It was only when I looked down and saw my boots almost of fire that I realised how close I was to the fire. :eek: :lmao:

Take a Snugpak rating with a pinch of salt is my advice.

TomandAlanswinteradventure042.jpg

This pic just screams

"BREW TIME! :lmao:
and we did just after it was taken :D

Feb 8, 2006
Beds and Herts!
Hey! In my experience I’ve found the Nanok bags to be correctly rated (Temp) but rather large in comparison to the Snugpak equal (My uni house mate has a Nanok -10, and I’ve tried a -5), I’ve had a Hawk (softy 9) for about 8 years (Ish) and its been (until the last few trips leading up to the winter, I’ve tried all the rejuvenation tricks but I think its dying) well rated, and I had not been cold unless it was below the rated temp, although I’m a warm sleeper, my brother used his day-old hawk last week, and was very comfortable, I used my 8yr old hawk and was cold, (I swear my feet nearly fell off!) but I’ve read that the synthetic bags all have a short life span in comparison to down, my next bag when I can afford it will be a down bag (like Alpkit Pipedream http://www.alpkit.com/pipedream/) as I’m sure that down will be worth the extra cost in the long run- its lighter and longer lasting, and I’m quite sure (from experience with my bivi not down) that an eVent bag will pass enough sweat to keep my down dry (any thoughts?)

One really annoying thing about the Nanok bags is that there isn’t the zip cover like on the Snugpak’s to stop it catching on the material, you have to hold it so your hand holds the fabric away from the zip as you close the bag.

Hope this helps, and what do you think of down in a bushcraft application?

Joe.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
huntersforge said:
I ordered a Nanok -10 yesterday from their website to replace my patchy , draughty old bag .
I will post delivery speed and overall response when it arrives.

nanok bag arrived today ,Super quick delivery considering the time of year and good comms .
Cant wait to try it out :) :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Steve from Genuine Army phoned me up this morning, though I wasn't able to talk much sense to him as I was sleeping after a night shift. But he did say that they were getting more stock of the Nanok Endurance -10 in for the same bargain price of £69.99. I'm going to ring him tomorrow and ordere one. :)

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
I ordered the 0 and -10 endurance from them last year and received them less than 24 hours later. I am very happy with both bags.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
It is £100 on Outdoor Code but this one comes with a Silk Liner worth £34. The one on genuinearmysurplus doesn't mention the liner.

Andrew @ Outdoor Code has said this is an offer that Nanok are doing not something he's put together.

I like the idea of the liners so I've ordered this one along with the Endurance 0 for when it's a little warmer. Should be hear end of the week :D

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
That changes my view completely.

Outdoorcode :You_Rock_

I will have to place my order early tomorrow if i expect it to be here by the weekend

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
If you haven't ordered yet, have a look at the Mountain Equipment Lightline Ultra 450. It's a down bag and therefore expensive, (list is £200), but can be got for around £140-150 if you google. I had a ME Military TDS 3, which is lovely and warm (-12 comfort, -18 extreme), but weighed 2 kg and took up most of my rucksack, even compressed. The down bag is rated at around -9 (-22 extreme), but weighs only 1100g and is half the size, so would nestle in the bottom of your Sabre 45 with ease. I have yet to try mine out (Christmas pressie!), but it looks the business. The outer is mega water resistant, you can pour water on it and it just runs off, and the inside of the hood and foot are similarly treated so damp feet and breath don't compromise the down. It's more of a snug fit than the TDS 3, but that means it should be more efficient.

And it's green...

Try this link

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/shop/116/213/index.htm

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
To late ordered the Nanok -10 on Monday and the thing was delivered Tuesday (though I wasn't in) talk about quick service!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE