Sleeping bag on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
ged

What you say makes so much practical sense, thank you.

The electric light switch and central heating controls have made me soft, giving myself one of these :slap:

I really like your Tog versatility combination options.

rorymax

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
snozz and Philster,

Looking at the links you posted, they seem to be different bags, is this the case?

Can you tell me the approximate weight and pack sizes for your bags please?

Thanks,

rorymax

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
snozz and Philster,

Looking at the links you posted, they seem to be different bags, is this the case?

Can you tell me the approximate weight and pack sizes for your bags please?

Thanks,

rorymax

They are indeed different bags. The one you want for cold conditions is the one in the ebay link.

If it then says Polywarm Industries, congratulations, thats the one to have.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
No, they are the same bag - the BritMil Surplus one is inside out in the photo and the compression sack is an extra fiver. Mine says "Sleeping Bag Arctic", 2009. It has the velcro zip cover and strap at the bottom, the pukka one.
Hope this helps,
Phil

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you're lucky you could get the us modular system, goretex bivvy, summer bag and winter bag, all 3 suitable down to something stupid cold like -45

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi not meaning too tread on anyone's toes but in your description pal yer asked for the sleeping bag too be compact.i have 3 of those arctic bags n they are far from compact.their absolutely quality peices of kit but absolutely massive pack size

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
ged

What you say makes so much practical sense, thank you.

The electric light switch and central heating controls have made me soft, giving myself one of these :slap:

I really like your Tog versatility combination options.

rorymax

What about this bad boy from Decathlon under budget at £65 and maybe cheaper from the new Braehead store :lmao:
zoom_3d45145e7c2a41489fb389ef89d05152.jpg

Well you did say you were going soft ;)
Really depends on you and what you will be doing, army gear is usually bomb proof, but heavier and bulkier so not as good for hiking. Lightweight gear is obviously better for hiking etc. but more fragile and possibley won't be as warm as something bulkier.
I have an old style kyam 800 ultra light (dark green the newer colours I don't fancy) a Vango 3/4 lightweight inflatable mat and if not in the hammock I stuff it all in a British army goretex bivi bag. I'm usually too warm at the best of times so the lightweight bag serves me well but as I say depends on you.
Gooutdoors, Decathlon and even Tesco do some lightweight bags all pretty cheap, good luck mate.

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
yeah, £20! And mine was mint! I had a delivery from them last week and I bought a load of clothing, grade 2. Turned out over half of it was new in bag, unissued :) Happy days!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hi not meaning too tread on anyone's toes but in your description pal yer asked for the sleeping bag too be compact.i have 3 of those arctic bags n they are far from compact.their absolutely quality peices of kit but absolutely massive pack size

And yer absolutely right muka (poor attempt I know, sorry, but at least I tried).

I do need a compact bag, but people have been posting some great recommendations, I could not help but think how practical some of the bulkier and heavier options would be for car camping, I guess I got carried away and lost direction, back on track now (until somebody posts some other interesting stuff and sidetracks me again).

:eek:

I'm finding out about stuff I did not know existed, and it is so interesting, I am like a kid in a candy shop :)

rorymax

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I use the Snugpak sleeper light, great bag for the money, 2 season. Plenty warm enough, had out in frosty November, warm as toast, for £35 you can't go wrong

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
zoom_3d45145e7c2a41489fb389ef89d05152.jpg

Well you did say you were going soft ;)

Looks ideal, need the pretty girl to go with it, she can carry it and be the extra layer of warmth too, I would let her use both pillows if she wanted to, I am not a selfish person.

Must check out Decathlon Braehead, :thankyou:

rorymax

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
And yer absolutely right muka (poor attempt I know, sorry, but at least I tried).

I do need a compact bag, but people have been posting some great recommendations, I could not help but think how practical some of the bulkier and heavier options would be for car camping, I guess I got carried away and lost direction, back on track now (until somebody posts some other interesting stuff and sidetracks me again).

:eek:

I'm finding out about stuff I did not know existed, and it is so interesting, I am like a kid in a candy shop :)

rorymax

No worries like I said I use them artic bags in the tent with the missus n little'n when campsite camping but their no way I'd be lumping one over any distance. My mates got one of these it's the only bag he's ever had.its done him proud I'm tellin yer
http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-nitestar-l-250-sleeping-bag-p196169

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE