What's the deal with sleeping bag comfort ratings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
And if one is heavily clothed inside a bag one tends to sewat and thus make the bag moist. Oposed to wearing less clothing inside bag = less sweating.
If one has enough on (something like polyester fleece) I don't think any reasonable amount of sweating will make one feel cold before being so hot that something has to be taken off. But yes excessive sweating thinly clothed in a thin bag is not a good combination but that does not usually happen in normal conditions (too much ethanol is abnormal (nowadays)).

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A lot depends on how old you are, how hydrated and well-fed, too. Booze doesn't help . But mainly, being properly insulated from the ground and having something keeping the wind off is significant.

I always thought ratings indicated only that you won't die at these named temperatures if you have also taken the above into consideration. Not really about comfort. :)

Of course, you also get too hot using a Winter-rated bag in the Spring. Or, rather, you can end up shrugging out of it whilst asleep and then getting woken up by tthe chill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Smears and TLM

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Derr... I don't understand that logic :( If the heat's not getting into your bag it's because it's staying close to your body, which is where you want it. If your clothes are damp, that's another thing but dry clothing is insulation.
It really depends on wether the person is shedding enough heat for the bag to work properly. Do you understand that logic? It’s the way the bag works,you see. It traps your heat. No bag is a ‘warm’ bag,it’s the person inside.
Regards
Ray

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Still struggling TBH - no coat is a warm coat either. It's a very cold day, I have my merino base layer, a mid layer, and a quilted jacket on - I'm still cold but you're telling me to take my base layer off? Goes against all my own cold climate experience if I'm honest. Trapping air as close to your body as possible (as long as the material wicks away the moisture) is the accepted wisdom of staying warm I thought. If I'm too warm I remove or ventilate the outer layer not the base layer.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Derr... I don't understand that logic :( If the heat's not getting into your bag it's because it's staying close to your body, which is where you want it. If your clothes are damp, that's another thing but dry clothing is insulation.
That is not how it works. It is not the clothes that keeps your warm but dry trapped air. Air is the best insulator of heat but only when it does not get moist.
A good sleeping bag breaths, but only when it has warm air in it. Wearing clothes will block the heat going to and through the sleeping bag where the air can insulate you and the moisture evaporate. You really should not wear clothing in a sleeping bag. I know it sounds contradictory, but it is pure physics.
If you like wearing something while sleeping, wear a thin merino baseayer. But nothing more than that.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A good sleeping bag breaths, but only when it has warm air in it. Wearing clothes will block the heat going to and through the sleeping bag where the air can insulate you and the moisture evaporate. You really should not wear clothing in a sleeping bag. I know it sounds contradictory, but it is pure physics.
If you like wearing something while sleeping, wear a thin merino baseayer. But nothing more than that.
I don't quite agree, water vapor (gas) will tend to go towards lower concentration or lower vapor pressure. While air is the actual insulator it has to be kept in place to work like that or one gets convection losses.

If one is totally wet there is a fair chance that evaporated water will start to condensate inside the bags insulation layer. There just is not much one can do because the dew point mostly is there in cool or cold surroundings. Some of my friends who skied to the north pole said that after a couple of weeks their synthetic sleeping bags were full of ice clumps. Their size apparently slightly varied but they never went away totally.

Anything one wears acts as insulation, better or worse and it adds to the bag's. While it is true that increased temp difference across the bags insulation layer affects the way moisture acts there it also affects the heat loss.

I don't see the physics at all clearcut as different materials act differently but I do find the argument that adding insulation makes one colder slightly strange.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That is not how it works. It is not the clothes that keeps your warm but dry trapped air. Air is the best insulator of heat but only when it does not get moist.

Sorry, but sit down with and do the thermodynamic heat transfer calculations and, in dry conditions (so not trying to evaporate water from clothing), there is no way that it will show that the heat source (your body) will lose heat slower if it has to heat a bigger volume of air further away from the body. Yes. it's the air that insulates you, the clothing just traps it near your body, the less air you heat the warmer you'll be. I had to do heat transfer and dissipation calculations in my work - I can't inverse the physics no matter how I try :)

The whole myth comes from people getting into bags with damp cloths or poorly wicking clothes IMO.

But, to each their own. Do what you feel comfortable with :)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I can't inverse the physics no matter how I try :)

The whole myth comes from people getting into bags with damp cloths or poorly wicking clothes IMO.
Water has a high phase change energy from water to steam(gas), 2415 kJ/kg that tends to be forgotten when people wonder about drying things.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Sorry, but sit down with and do the thermodynamic heat transfer calculations and, in dry conditions (so not trying to evaporate water from clothing), there is no way that it will show that the heat source (your body) will lose heat slower if it has to heat a bigger volume of air further away from the body. Yes. it's the air that insulates you, the clothing just traps it near your body, the less air you heat the warmer you'll be. I had to do heat transfer and dissipation calculations in my work - I can't inverse the physics no matter how I try :)
You think of your body as a dry stove, but your body loses moist, always. So you trap air AND moist. You need to lose the moist, so you need something breathing. You might get away with wearing clothes in warm weather, but when it freezes, just don't do that. It is potentially dangerous.

Reactions: Ray Smears

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Eat loads,do loads of star jumps,work up a sweat,get into your sleep bag in just a base layer,do it up and lie still.
How warm is it in there now?
Regards
Ray.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You need to lose the moist, so you need something breathing.
Right but how does one having some clothes on prevent that? You have to show that having a higher temp difference across the bag wall somehow betters the greater heat loss from your body. I think that is a non trivial exercise in thermal and water phase change physics.
You might get away with wearing clothes in warm weather, but when it freezes, just don't do that.
Some 50 years of experience disagrees with that, never have been in the polar areas but -35C often enough. So far have all my fingers, toes and ears. Must admit, it was not always warm and fun but easily survivable (with just about all clothes on in the bag).

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Isn't this the same reason you don't put your head in your bag when you're sleeping in the cold? It just gets wet in there and when your metabolism slows during sleep everything cools too much and you are enveloped in cold, wet, even freezing air.

Reactions: Great egret

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Right but how does one having some clothes on prevent that? You have to show that having a higher temp difference across the bag wall somehow betters the greater heat loss from your body. I think that is a non trivial exercise in thermal and water phase change physics.

Some 50 years of experience disagrees with that, never have been in the polar areas but -35C often enough. So far have all my fingers, toes and ears. Must admit, it was not always warm and fun but easily survivable (with just about all clothes on in the bag).
You might just been toasty warm without the clothes....

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
One of the fellow jägers tried that, RIP. ;) Actually he survived after putting his clothes on.

Still I would like to have a proper explanation on the heat loss thing ...
10cm of loft from down breaths better than clothing. Therefore you have dry air around you.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Therefore you have dry air around you.
Hmmm.... not really true, if one has wet clothes, body heat slowly evaporates that into the surrounding airspace, meaning inside the bag. There is just no known process that "breathes" this gas volume out albeit very slowly. Gas concentration irregularities tend to equalize by brownian motion and the bag is actually a hindrance. Besides the evaporation sucks heat out of one's body.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Depending on what you mean by "breathing", it is not a well defined term in this context. I also realize that you are not familiar with military sleeping bags 50 years ago! :D
In fact, i was tought to strip down, leave my clothes somewhere dry and sleep in underwear in the army and keep my uzi warm within the sleepingbag. But that was 1995, so i'm old but not that old :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE