Sledge making (steam bending)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I wanted to have a go at making a traditional wooden sledge and was wondering if anyone has advice on steam bending wood for the front runners. I think you can buy steaming machines but I don't want to do that for 1 sledge.......and which wood is best to use?
Would apprciate any advice if anyone has experience of steam bending wood or happy to hear of any other methods - Thanks and happy (belated) New Year

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Ps Have a jig ready to bend your runners on ,,,a bit of ply with pegs in it will do ,,,just remember the bend will spring back a bit when dry so bend a bit more than you need

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have seen plenty of steaming techniques, like indeed the PVC pipe method but also wrapping a beam in soaked cloth, then wrap it with aluminum foil shiny side directed towards the beam and then applied to a heat source, preferably in some open fire embers like you would do to roast some potatoesand then leave it in for just over an hour. and indeed you always need to over bend, I'd say over bend it by 10 % that should do of course this depends on your wood choice.
Hope that helps.

Yours sincerely Ruud

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks gents that's a great help. Will have to get some wood and hopefully get it done within a few weeks. (am very busy at the moment) Will post a piccie when it's finished

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE