Slate.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have unearthed a large ( 180 cm x 15cm x 2 cm ) slab of what I think is smoothed Slate.
It was buried in the ground and now , it is not. :)

I'm wondering if I can make something 'nice' from it.

Ideas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's almost hearth sized. I wonder what use was orginally intended for it. It's awfully long for even a washstand. Narrow though...

If it's really clean and sound, then it could be scrubbed up thoroughly and used like a stone runner along a table to hold crudites, dips and the like. Fruits maybe ? It'll help keep them cold and it could be a nice feature.

Seperating into thin layers works well, but cutting down that length might not go so evenly.
I have a set of slate table mats somewhere, but they're not 180cm long :) Just a really odd size.

Reactions: TeeDee

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
How deep was it buried?
without being morbid, and not knowing your exact location, they used to cover graves with slate slabs...............................Halloween :vamp::vulcan:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am not totally convinced on the idea putting cups on a stone slate, unless they are wooden.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nah, that's for putting cups in :)

I would engrave a Celtic knot design on it and hang it vertically on the wall

As a soft skinned silver spoon southerner I'll just engraving a prancing unicorn puffing rainbows from its rear end.....

Oh . no - I forget - I'm 1/8th A Scot.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
What kind of condition is it in now?

Thought it might be a bit of a pool table, but that make little sense. It could be architectural. There might be more in the ground if its the site of a demolition.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just thinking about that. That size is a pantry shelf. If there are a lot more of them around, I reckon you've got a dairy or a pantry.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I was just thinking about that. That size is a pantry shelf. If there are a lot more of them around, I reckon you've got a dairy or a pantry.

Could have been a diary maybe - there is a giant ( relative ) slab just used as the standing area in the greenhouse.

I've lifted a few more all out of the ground but they are all screaming 'worktop' at me. - big , thick ,deep, chunky. Just like me. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you access an older version of the map of your area ?

The OS lets you do that. I'm sure the link is on here somewhere.
Where though ? :dunno:

Anyhow, if you can, you might find something that would give you more of a clue.
I think if they're worktop size then a dairy is very likely.

You lucky man :) That's a find and a half :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, I've found 'a' link, but you'd need to footer around with it to make it relevant to your own area.....you can go back step by step on it though :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Okay, I've found 'a' link, but you'd need to footer around with it to make it relevant to your own area.....you can go back step by step on it though :)

Thanks for that Toddy.
I've had a look and nothing noteworthy pops out at me.
The property is beside what would have been an old Ford in a rural farming community between two country estates - so a diary of some sort is quite possible I guess.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Could be a lintel or some other part of a doorway ... too narrow to cantilver into the wall or for a sill

Too small for a water trough too ... given your mention of a ford. Though if you find some more you may have the makings of rather nice planter :)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for that Toddy.
I've had a look and nothing noteworthy pops out at me.
The property is beside what would have been an old Ford in a rural farming community between two country estates - so a diary of some sort is quite possible I guess.

If it was noteworthy you’d write it in your diary. :sorrysorry: :D

• Haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE