Archery Target - Foam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
My Straw archery target has given up the ghost - I have however just picked up some ( 16 to be precise ) Hard Foam martial arts mats - each measuring 1m x 1m x 30mm deep.

I'm asking the more seasoned archers out there - I want to make this into a Foam target that can be left out.

I guess there are a couple of options - I can have them flat facing me , with 3/4/5 (?) or I can cut them down into 25cm strips and the glue/compress them together into a large sandwich - that seems a lot of work and I'm not overly convinced its going to make a more durable target ( Although others seem to have done this )

So am I over thinking it ? Should I just stack them 4 at a time ?

View attachment 80871
I just made one. Layer them all and put pieces of wood the same length on the top and bottom. Then you use ratchet straps to tighten. Just to be clear you will be shooting into the layered material and not a single sheet end on. You can ignore the protrusions for joining the mats or cut them straight, one at a time, with a Stanley knife before assembly. Mine is superb.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just made one. Layer them all and put pieces of wood the same length on the top and bottom. Then you use ratchet straps to tighten. Just to be clear you will be shooting into the layered material and not a single sheet end on. You can ignore the protrusions for joining the mats or cut them straight, one at a time, with a Stanley knife before assembly. Mine is superb.
I just noticed after post exactly how many mats you had . You will need more to utilize my method.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Indeed 16 1m x 1m even if cut into 33cm sections and compressed lasagna style is going to give a 144 cm x 100 cm target.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a great idea.

I found a load of those mats chucked out...was wondering what to do with them.

I thought of cutting a load to more convenient sizes for camping.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Don’t know if this helps none but the foam bosses you can by - the material used is used in bed manufacture. If you can source it, it’s easily cut and then with timber and metal rod you can make up a boss.

I‘d be concerned about bouncers off those foam floor mats if using a bare bow or longbow; else pass throughs if using a compound bow.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE