Simple wooden mallet I made today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Made myself a little wooden mallet today . Intended for the gentle persuasion of hot steel when I am learning on my forge . It's a guess that I'll need one eventually for the more delicate stuff . uploadfromtaptalk1371155288026.jpguploadfromtaptalk1371155448131.jpguploadfromtaptalk1371155522111.jpg

Paddytray .;

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Thank you .
I thought , A wide flat area with both rounded and straight edge on one side .
And a rounded dome on the reverse , shoe lace grip with and lets not forget the stubby flat handle end .
would cover most of the jobs I've thought up / drawn down & planned to attempt soon that need a tickle instead of a wack .
:togo:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very nice :) Of course, as soon as you start using it at the forge, none of those fancy striking surfaces will be anything but a chewed, charred flat end :D What sort of wood did you use for the head?

as a tip to look out for at carboots (or buy new if feeling flush) are Thor mallets. They have cast iron heads with rawhide inserts. Ihave replaced the rawhide with the new faces sold for them, but I also stick wooden faces in too. A number 2 or 3 is good for forgework.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Cheers lads .
Dave it's Leyland Cyprus ,The tree that brought me to this site . http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93748 .
Before you say it I know it's resin is going to nigh on blind me by watering eyes when hot .
But it will smell amazing .
quick spun in the lathe and used a old cut off medium sander belt to finish .
I know its gonna get beat up that's why I joke about it's fantastic features .
I will look out for a Thor mallet though thanks Dave .

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE