Simple Forged Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Last main project for a while so thought I'd do a full write up in the blog http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

A couple of pics to start it off, loads more in the write up of part 1, with part two the handle in a few days, and 3 the sheath after that.

S5001853.jpg

000_0761.jpg

Hope you like it so far, I'll add to this thread also.

Cheers, Addo :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys, It was a spring. I call them car suspension coil springs as I have used them, but its from a food packing place. They fill a skip every now and then and a mate passed on a few to play with.
Just cut off a section and bunged it in the fire.

Paul, if you can find a few hrs, light a fire, force air into it and use a hammer you can make a knife like that one.
File to finish or do the lot with a hammer and grind edge on a stone. Dead easy mate.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, it looks nice and clean and simple and will no doubt make a cracking user. I'll read the blog later when I get a minute. What did you use for that top bolster?

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks again all.

Chad, the bolster is two pieces of cut up pewter tankard with black fibre liner glued up between. Made it up before stacking onto the tang, to make sure it was clamped up well with no gaps so that works together for strength.

Shines up quite nice, but I expect it to dull off like brass with use.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one, thanks for that. I was hoping you weren't going to say stainless because I have plenty of it but dread drilling and sanding it. I wasn't sure if you'd use something as soft as pewter due to scratches but I guess it really doesn't matter and can be sanded out if it need be. I've got a bit of pewter and tons of Ali. One more mystery solved before I start doing nice stick tangs instead of dodgy ones, no more drilling Cuban coins from now on! Cheers Paul.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
It'll probably scratch mate, but thought it was worth a try. Cant stand working stainless, nasty stuff :cussing:. Nickel silvers a bit tricky too but can be worth it for a bit of longer lasting bling :cool:
Cheers fella.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm not bothered about a few scratches anyway, it just adds to the character. Anything to avoid working stainless as far as I'm concerned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE