Silk Backed Wych elm.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

This one has been a bit of a nightmare and at one point i had to remove a full coat of varnish which was an orible task.

I have had this stave knocking around for a while now but i have only just got my workshop up and running so it was time to get it finished.

The stats,, wych elm backed in black silk, 68" ntn, 48 lbs at 29", leather grip (not quite finished), rosewood stain, matt varnish on the back and clear on the belly. There is a big knot in the handle and one limb has a natural kink and deflex.
Took about 2 inches of set all over which isnt bad considering the little limb width i had to work with. Arrows are port oxford cedar shafts and turkey feather fletch. I will get a full draw shot up soon when its not raining and when my hangover is gone

newbow004-1.jpg

newbow009.jpg

newbow011.jpg

IMAG0493-1.jpg

newbow016.jpg

newbow013.jpg

I will get some better shots up soon, thanks for looking all :)

Last edited:

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Thats awesome man, giving me ideas for my summer project along the same lines :D :D

How you go about sticking the silk on to the bow?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats awesome man, giving me ideas for my summer project along the same lines :D :D

How you go about sticking the silk on to the bow?

Its done with pva glue. First the bow is sized a few times and the silk soaked in a weak pva solution then just applied and smoothed out. Has to be sealed though as pva is not good with water.

Cheers Crom ;)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
does the silk benefit the performance of the bow or is it just purely aesthetic? (interested in bowmaking but clueless :))

nice work :)

TJ

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its mainly for safety and could also stop a splinter lifting on the back of the bow. Oh and it looks nice :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Lovely work Dwardo. I like those snakey bows, they have so much character and personality. Where did you get the stave if I may ask? I have a dead Wych Elm in the edge that may well turn into a bow!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely work Dwardo. I like those snakey bows, they have so much character and personality. Where did you get the stave if I may ask? I have a dead Wych Elm in the edge that may well turn into a bow!

Lo JoJo :)

The stave is from a friends woodland. Its a split from a say 10" diameter trunk section. Its pretty good wood and the last bit is about to make a very wide paddle looking recurve with lots of bends ;)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's a beauty mate! Love the silk backing, and I love the built up handle, gives the bow a 'Howard Hilll' look. It's fair to say you're getting good at this stuff. BTW, where's the full draw?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's a beauty mate! Love the silk backing, and I love the built up handle, gives the bow a 'Howard Hilll' look. It's fair to say you're getting good at this stuff. BTW, where's the full draw?

Completely forgot about this one been busy making another :eek:

Promise a full draw later on this afternoon once if finish shouting at this server, providing i dont have to call HP again or i may just "string my self up" :rolleyes:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The knocking point is still too high but its the best i got using a bin as a tripod :) The last 1/3 or the top limb has natural deflex so just flipped the tip a bit with steam.
upload.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE