Some recent sheath commissions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi guys,
I hope everyone enjoyed the moot. I'm planning on getting over there next year, but couldn't due to other comitments this time.

I made a few interesting sheaths recently I thought you'd like to see. Each is completely handmade, hand-carved and hand-stitched. All made from the finest Italiam vegtan leather.

First up is a multi-carry sheath for an Enzo trapper I handled for a customer.
This one can be carried vertically or horizontally, right or left handed, and has a detachable belt loop, dangler and holder for a firesteel and DC4 or Spyderco Doublestuff.
The firesteel and sharpening stone holder also has a belt loop and can be worn separately and attached to the dangler separately.
It was a deceptively tricky little thing to make right, but the customer was delighted and that's what matters most.

This one was a bit quirky. A biker had a D2 bowie made by my cousin and wanted a carved sheath and a shoulder harness to match - so I obliged. The sheath can be worn on the harness, rightside up and upside down or can be worn as a normal belt sheath. As far as I'm aware the shoulder carry thing isn't a problem where this guy is from.

Last but not least is a sheath for my own J. Neilson bowie in W2. J. Is a master blade smith from the US who needs little introduction. He makes some of the best blades out there and has recently ahot to fame on the TV show 'Forged in Fire'.

I had been in contact with J. Ober a year ago and asked him to forge me a W2 full tang blade to my spec with a prominant hamon. I was inspired by J's beautiful bowies, but wanted something a little closer to and old school tradeknife - full tang, and no guard so i can choke up on the blade, but with the additon of an unsharpened long clip. It is just under 12 inches overall with a 7 inch cutting edgf. A bit large for some people's tastes I know, but I can do everything from fine carving to limbing a tree with this thing.
There was a bit of a delay since he started shoting hos bew show, but I didn't mond since there was no rush on it and it was well qorth waiting for.
The hamon is a little faded now since it has had so much use, but I've included a couple of J's pics of when it was newly finished.
I really love this blade as it does everything I need in a camp / hunter knife and looks good too. If I could only have one knife, this would be it!
The edge is amazing on this knife. definitely the best I've ever seen. The W2 needs care to prevent rust, since it is an old school carbon steel, but for a regularly used knife this isn't a problem for me. The character and performance of the knife more than make up for this. I handled it in stabilised Irish Wych Elm and came up with a fairly unique pin arrangement - I have to give thanks to my cousin for help with drilling the tang for these.

When it cane to the sheath I couldn't decide whether to do a deep pouch sheath, or a more traditional, western style belt tuck sheath. These are my two favourite ways to carry a knife so In the end I decided to do both!

The pouch sheath was pure self indulgence! A mountain man/ native american inspired sheath with a handcarved bear, raven and feather design, brass tacks, fringes, bone beads, and a forced aged finish. It is fully lined too and served me well on a recent canoe trip down the Yukon. It was very sucure and comfortable sitting and kneeling in the canoe.

The second sheath gets the most use lately. It is a more compact, slim sheath with no belt loop, just a large rifle button. I really like this design since I often just tuck a knife into my belt when heading out the door to my nearby woods.
This sheath is lined with fine Itlian lambskin.

In my western imagination I like to think one sheath is for the frontier and the other is more at home for the saloon! Haha

A closeup of the edge finish:

And the hamon when it was fresh:

I hope you like ths pictures. I'm trying my best to get better at this photography thing. I've definitely postes too many poor-quality photos up here. Sorry :(

For anyone on Instagram I recently made a profile there and upload pics most days - some behind the scenes photos too. If you're interestsd you can follow me at:
https://www.instagram.com/mylerleather/

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Hamish. A fine compliment from a fellow craftsman :) especially since I doubt this stuff is your cup of tea.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Michael. If I've learned anything from working with leather it's patience! Well... I'm better than I used tk be anyway. Haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE