Wych Elm static.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup All,

Just finished up this wych elm static.
Gave me lots and lots of problems this one from splinters to compression problems.

Turned out ok in the end but not happy with lots of things but there you go.
More importantly I learnt a vast amount about the design and the wood.
Oh its 62 inches long, and about 50 at 27.

Thanks for looking and any questions please just ask. Not the best pics in the world but if your weather is anything like ours dry parts of the day are few and far.

Unbraced
P1120001_zps054e8a82.jpg

Drawn
P1120002_zpsa983999d.jpg

Width
P1120003_zps9e62377b.jpg

handle
P11200022_zps422f5d2f.jpg

P11200052_zpsdcf2cf06.jpg

P1120008_zps5fb25a24.jpg

recurve
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/dwardo/media/elm static/P1120006_zpsd205e336.jpg.html

P1120005_zps031a145b.jpg

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Wow, lovely bow. Amazing how much the wood can bend for the recurves!
I'd be very satisfied with that, and projects rarely go in a way that you can say, 'I'm completely happy with that'

I'm just jealous!:red:

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
beautiful little number. im really getting into my archery at the mo but only ever use the companies bows. taking my gnas in the next few months and would really like to get my own. what sort of price range would a bow like that go for???

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Wish I could get my hands on some Elm to try. I'd had my eyes on a lovely English Elm tree about a hundred yards up the road from here since we moved in, but didn't touch it, as it was a beautiful young tree. Bl00dy foresters hacked it down and burned it without a thought a few months ago whilst they were clearing scrub. Made me cry, seeing the smoking remains. B*ds.

Peter

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Now that looks tidy as always

Thanks mate.

How did you create the recurves?

I steamed them for an hour and then bent them into a form very quickly. Used a metal belly strap for the second one as the first pulled a splinter.

Wow, lovely bow. Amazing how much the wood can bend for the recurves!
I'd be very satisfied with that, and projects rarely go in a way that you can say, 'I'm completely happy with that'

I'm just jealous!:red:

Thanks. Lots of things I will do different on the next few statics.

Nice looking bow that mate :)

Cheers.

Very impressed. An elm bow was going to be the next kind i was going to try and build!

Elm is a nice bow wood. Just has to be designed to suit. Few more bows of different types and I will get to know it a lot better.

Isnit wrong that the pic of you drawing it makes me want to duck?

I think I am going to have to find myself some staves and have another go

I do wonder about the patio door my self. When a suitable stave comes up promise I will let you know. The stuff I have now is all short or not too hot or already nearly a bow. Got to go shopping soon.

Nice work as always

Thanks.

beautiful little number. im really getting into my archery at the mo but only ever use the companies bows. taking my gnas in the next few months and would really like to get my own. what sort of price range would a bow like that go for???

Hi, let me know what type of bow, draw weight and length via pm and can see if there is something we can do. Dont build many at all and they take months to make. Mainly due to the fact they are all made with hand tools only.

I require it.

:) and you know where I live! This one is promised out sorry mate.

Wish I could get my hands on some Elm to try. I'd had my eyes on a lovely English Elm tree about a hundred yards up the road from here since we moved in, but didn't touch it, as it was a beautiful young tree. Bl00dy foresters hacked it down and burned it without a thought a few months ago whilst they were clearing scrub. Made me cry, seeing the smoking remains. B*ds.

Peter

Makes me wanna cry when I see beautiful bit of tree munched into a chipper.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Love the unbraced pic! Next elm harvest count me in. And may I say that is a very nice looking string too;)

Will do matey. Finally got my head around strings thanks to your reasoning. This is probably the only bow I have ever "technically" built from scratch ;)

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
my goodness thats lovely.

Very kind thanks.

Stunning. Wish I could do that. Always had a hankering to take up the bow.

Give it a try but beware it becomes and obsession. Worse things to become obsessed about mind,

Nice bow.
Liked that.

Thanks.

That is a great bow mate,

Bowyery is definitely something I would love to have a crack at.

Atb

Craig

Just try it. Couple of sharp tools and a suitable bit of wood and you are away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE