A Useable Sapling Stick Bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Experienced Bowers look away now!

I have made a few bows in my time; I’ve just finished an ash longbow that I’ll write up about another time. However, I thought some people that may be put off making a self-bow may enjoy having a go at one of these fun stick bows. This one has turned out at only 20Lb at 28 inches draw but it could easily be made heavier. It’s enough to have some fun trying short-range field archery in a wood without fear of arrows going too far; it would also be capable of taking a rabbit at 25m if we were allowed to.

I first made these when I was a kid living in North Africa; descent hardwood branches were few and far between so we had to resort to all sorts of ways of making our bows ranging from drying twisted and bent sticks pegged out in the sun, using bamboo tied together, and joining short sticks together – like the example below.

Many different hardwoods have been used to make bows in Britain for thousands of years including ash, hazel, holly, oak, rowan, hawthorn and wych elm. But, to make a good stick bow with minimum work requires two limbs that taper quite quickly (either that or you’ll have to shave the sticks). Holly saplings are great for this; they taper faster than other saplings so you can make a bow without any shaving at all. On top of that they grow like weeds in the right condition. I have a couple of patches of dense holly growth with nice young straight saplings.

You want two as close to the same size as possible and about 35mm diameter at the widest point; you won’t be making it that thick but it will give you plenty to work with. Trim all the side shoots off but not too close to the main stem; you don’t want to notch that at all.

There’s two schools of thought about peeling the stem: peel it green when it’s easy but dry it slowly oiling it frequently; or dry it and peel it when it’s seasoned (more difficult to do without damaging the stem). Peeling green is easiest but do not try drying it too quick or you will get splits.

When they’re dry (a couple of weeks should do) you can cut the limbs to size. The example below is 6 foot (i.e. two limbs of 3 foot) and they taper from around 25mm diameter to 15mm and it pulls about 20Lb; if you want it heavier you could use thicker lengths of the stems or shorten the bow slightly. You want to cut both limbs with as close to the same diameter as possible and the same length – that may sound impossible, but two saplings taken from the same area will have very similar growth profiles. Carefully carve off all the stem joints; you don’t need or want them flush with the stem but just smooth and tidy.

Now we have to join the two limbs together. As kids we used a variety of methods including just overlapping them side by side and binding, over lapping front and back and binding, and just binding overlapping handles on them. In the one below I’ve drilled 3 inches into each limb and screwed in a piece of 8mm tapped rod, then glued on handles and added a leather binding. As a kid I never had the resources to make anything that complicated. You could make a tidy handle by binding on the handle pieces with paracord.

I finish it with a quick sanding and the application of oil and beeswax.

Have a go and have fun!

stick bow - holly saplings.jpg

Hollies grow like weeds in parts of our wood.

stick bow - holly sticks peeled.jpg

Two saplings peeled and trimmed ready to dry

stick bow - shaved handle.jpg

Pinned and handle glued and profiled

stick bow - leather handle.jpg

Handle bound with a thin leather strip

stick bow - complete.jpg

The finished bow (the limbs are the same length honest)

stick bow - tillered.jpg

I wouldn't normally tiller a bow of this kind but wanted to see the weight it pulled - it's not a bad shape for two sticks bound together :)
It's about 20Lb; I could increase that by shortening it - probably an inch each end

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Would Hazel be good for this project? Not much Holly near me but plenty of Hazel....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hazel makes a reasonable bow but I've found it needs to season for longer and if I want it to be a little more 'springy' I have to shave the belly of the limbs a little; hazel doesn't tend to taper as fast as holly. I should have said above, but it's more important with hazel, don't just bend it to full draw in one go - as bowers say, you have to teach the wood to bend. All that means is give it a dozen tugs of 12", then 15", then 20" etc. it allows the fibres to stretch and move.

Having said all that, if there's plenty around, I'd just have a go - the whole idea is that it's fun :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Excellent work.

I would have never thought holly a candidate as every bit I have cut has checked as soon as look at it! Seems the sapling approach works great.

Would certainly be worth piking it an inch or two after a few more weeks drying. Decent set of scales is an easy way to track its drying weight. Stable for a third of the time its been drying has always worked for me.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That is awesome. I'll be giving that a go! Have you seen the 'no heat' pvc bows? I wonder if something similar would be possible with lengths of bamboo cane instead of fibreglass rods, and minus the pvc?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That is awesome. I'll be giving that a go! Have you seen the 'no heat' pvc bows? I wonder if something similar would be possible with lengths of bamboo cane instead of fibreglass rods, and minus the pvc?

Wayne does a great bamboo bow tutorial - it may be in the tutorials on the site but he did a workshop at one of the moots a couple of years ago (sadly not one that I was at). As kids, in North Africa, where we had more bamboo than hardwood trees, we just used to split the canes, remove the 'joint rings' and stack the halves getting shorter as we got towards the handle - the last half-cane being typically about 2 foot long - there was no science to it but we had some fun bows.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
sounds awesome. I'll take a look and see if I can find something. I always fancied trying to make one of the no heat pvc bows but wasn't keen on all the man made stuff and schedule 40 pvc seems a nightmare to find! I'll get experimenting with bamboo then!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks fun :)
I have made a bamboo bow with Wayne and a Hazel "father/son" bow with George - both pull in the high 20s of poundage (enough for my duff shoulder!) and are great fun ... but too powerful for my short garden :(

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
https://sensiblesurvival.org/2012/05/03/make-a-bamboo-bundle-bow/

Found this. I'll be giving it a go! Thanks for inspring me to make a bow Broch!

For some reason I couldn't get your link to work so I tracked it down:

If you make one let us know how it works out!

I should have said, the bamboo we were using as kids ranged from 10mm to 30mm in diameter.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So, I tried the bamboo bundle bow, as per the link described, 2 lots of 3 x 3ft canes, 12'' overlapping. It snapped getting the bowstring on :(

It broke on the limb just below the handle. I'm going to try it again, but buy a bunch of canes to select a good few, and maybe try a longer more tapered setup. It felt as if the limbs weren't bending at the tips enough

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE