Sierra Cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Santaman, in case you're wondering what a Clootie dumpling is, LINK and LINK

12-Clootie-dumplimg-sliced-open.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A Canadian lady saw my copper and brass cups at a show recently and mentioned Sierra cups, I'd never heard of them until that point.

I coat the inside with tin so there is no problem of acid attack from your food/drink (the top picture was taken before tinning). I s'pose I could make more with metal handles and more like the sierra cups ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh wire bail handles are light, but yours look soooo much better Mr Bud. I've lusted after them since you first posted them.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Never had one but always wanted one since reading one of my favourite childhood books - The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook -

51PrXKJf81L._SL500_SX342_.jpg
I was obsessed with survival kits as a lad and idolised them :eek: - can't for the life of me think how I ended up here!?!?!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....too small for a decent brew, too small to cook in .......

Yeah generally too small to cook anything substantial (instant oatmeal and grits aside) But too small for a cuppa? The standard one is 12 ounces (same size as a canned Coke) and the larger one is 16 ounces.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So Santaman, Maddave & Mary, why did you get your cups? They were never mainstream.

They were here; particularly in the 1950s, '60s, and early '70s. They were almost Boy Scout "issue gear." LOL And as jimfbte said, the same with the Sierra Club.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah generally too small to cook anything substantial (instant oatmeal and grits aside) But too small for a cuppa? The standard one is 12 ounces (same size as a canned Coke) and the larger one is 16 ounces.

Ah no wonder we used to get falling down drunk filling them up with spirits, makes a nice bushy Quaich though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tbh, most of the ones I remember were brass, and they definitely weren't trophy things....we use quaichs for those, and quaichs are either pewter or silver and occasionally wood with a silver lip.
Maybe someone in the UK produced them ? :dunno: Funny though, I always associate them with the brass paraffin cookers.

cheers,
M......who is so in the notion for a bit of clootie dumpling. Lot of eating for a house of adults these days though; kids worked their way through one in two days :rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Toddy, I'm craving some dumplin' too, my brother and I used to fight over the bummy ends. Spread wi butter and a cup of tea for a lunchtime treat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I loved that cheugh end bit of the skin, chewy and fruity :D Buttered and a cup of tea. Soul food :)
That's just put me in the notion to bake!

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i've got a couple of sierra cups and like them a lot, used mostly for ginger beer and ice :D I'm sure i got them off you Dave about 5 years ago, so i'm not sure you've got any at home now :D I do like my leather tankard though, holds more and it's got personality.... :beerchug:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Never heard of them until now! It was always the '44 pattern mug for me in the mob in the 80s that was sought after. The Survival Aids mug changed all of that and became so popular that a version of it become a demand item through the NSN system.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

A coffee is not a coffee unless it is at least a pint!
My sierra was only about 8oz...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A coffee is not a coffee unless it is at least a pint!
My sierra was only about 8oz...

LOL. I know some peole who carry a mug of coffee as if it were a permanent attachment who'd agree with you.

That seems like a small Sierra cup though (8 ounces) I've never seen any advertized that were less than 12 ounces. I do see plenty of larger ones though (but they never seemed to be popular for whatever reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE