Show your nessmuk!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
i dont know if my stuff would be up to the standard of the people on here :eek:
but i will be trying at lest one when i get a chance ;) it has taken me weeks to start my buck saw. but i finaly got somewhere today :)
chris

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
i am being a bit of a chiken now arnt i?
ok chaps your on i will do my best but when i dont know?
PM me your address's and i will see what i can do
a bit frightened Chris

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chris,

Don't sweat it mate - do your own, bung a photo up and I'll lust after it :). If its yummy though I reserve the right to whine for a bit :D

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Here's my Nessie :)

8439908241eadcdf24919d9c484881d054fe5e6fdfd354746d8f2f53.jpg

640158647c512367aa7b7d3bd82092c634e1d1c33ffa4a2e292c6639.jpg

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Chopper said:
As I am not a member of the secret knife makers club...is who still makeing these?

Mozzy (Lord Farquhar) made them, i had made a few sheaths for them and then he did his back in and stopped taking orders.
Pity because they are really nice and i never got around to getting one myself.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Hoodoo said:
Whut? You don't have the single bit? :eek: Randy, that would go with yer new watch big time. Very stylin' :cool: BTW, I like the single bit so much, I bought two. They totally rock. ;)

reeves1b.jpg

Well Hoodoo, I wish you would not have posted that.....the fire burns once again. Good thing Lee has a waitlist, that will make it easier to order as I will have some time to save up.

Good thing I can watch the days roll by on my new watch eh? :lmao:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've not really paid much attention to Nessmuks before, but I must admit they are certainly looking rather nifty.

I particularly like the idea that it would be great for both bushcrafty stuff and in the kitchen - especially with that nice wide blade for scooping up chopped veg and whatnot.

Reactions: santaman2000

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
For those wanting a double bit, Nessmuk style axe, Marbles makes something that fits the bill. Myself, I prefer the single bit with a poll on the back.

This is the Marbles Hunter's Axe. These can often be had new for about US$40, that's a bit over 20 British pounds or about 31 Euros.
http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/cutlery/axes/hunterAxe.html

Head Length: 5"
Overall Length: 14.5"
Cutting Edge: 2.75"
Weight: 1lb, 6oz
Head Steel: Forged Carbon Steel
Hardness: 50-52 Rockwell C
Head Thickness: 0.75"

huntersAxe.jpg

mr009db.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Schwert said:
Good thing Lee has a waitlist, that will make it easier to order as I will have some time to save up.

I was gonna mention that but I didn't want to put too much pressure on you all at once. The proper method is to tighten the screws slowly. ;) As you well know. :p

I'm sure the time will pass in a leisurely but precise manner.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Shinken said:
50 - 52 Rockwell C seems a little soft to me? :rolleyes:

It's so-so for a modern axe, but typical of an axe in the era that design hails from.

Older axes tended to have a hardness in the lower 50's and this is a repo of an old, mid 19th century axe. Marbles is also a very old company and maybe the original specs called for that level of hardness.

This lower hardness made them easy to sharpen with a file and deal with dents and dings in the edge. It also made the heads less likely to fracture in the days before modern metallugy. A lot of people may not realize just how much better our ordinary steel is now compared to just a few generations ago.

Hear tell Marbles farms the production of this particular item out to a plant in China, hence the low price and possible reason for the older style heat treatment. It's probably being made at a factory used to making axes for Chinese farmers using technology and tooling that rather old fashioned.

Bark river sells the re-profiled Vaughn hatchet as the Bark River Mini-Axe, and they state the hardness at Rc54-55,

Bear Mountain sells a large selection of 1095 steel old pattern hatchets and tomahawks and they list their hardness at Rc50-52.

Gransfors tend to have a hardness of around Rc57. But then again, I do have a photo here somewhere of a Gransfors with a large piece that fractured of of the bit end of the head while chopping on a hard type of wood.

Now, granted, that was the exception, not the rule for a Gransfors, but when you start cranking up the hardness on an axe head combined with the huge amount of shock force transmitted through that axe head when it is used, you have a lot less of a margin for error on flaws and imperfections in the forging process and the steel.

Of course, a Lee Reeves is probably approaching the best you can get, aside from Thor himself handing you one from his personal collection. Reeves forges hard bits onto softer heads making an axe with a differential temper and a toughness that's probably out of this world.

I don't know what his wait time is, but it's not uncomon for a good American bladesmith with any kind of rep and a cool item in their line up to be backlogged with delivery dates at least a year out. Randall knives, for example, has wait times in the 5+ year range.

So, a hand made Reeves is something like US$165 and probably a very long wait vs a factory made Marbles which is usually about US$35-$40 and a simple wait for FedEx to drop it off at your doorstep. If that type of axe is what you want, I'd order both the Marbles and the Lee Reeves, and the Marbles would give you something to use during the long wait for delivery of the Reeves.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
rapidboy said:
Is he still making these ?

Not that i'm aware of. This is one of the original batch he made before his back troubles.
I rehandled it recently. Your sheath still fits it perfectly ;)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've seen them before and been tempted. I've already got one nessmuk though and it is kind of hard to justify any more knives.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
British Red said:
Wow, I so love that top set mate!

I need to post the MO off to Charmagne for mine tomorrow (actually my GF is as its my belated Christamas present - got to love her huh?)

But I want it NOW :D

Red

Any idea on the import duty situation on Lee's axes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE