Show your nessmuk!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Chopper said:
Bugger :( I really wanted to order one of those. :( :(

That one is really a one of a kind. I sent him the antler for it. Allan really did a superb job. Great knifemaker but not much good at the business end. :(

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
rapidboy said:
Afraid i still haven't got around to finishing mine yet :rolleyes:

Along with some other unfinished projects :eek: , it has a very nice tapererd tang.

459_5974_1.jpg

RB, where did you get the Nessmuk blade from? :)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice knives :D

I've always wondered, how does a Nessmuk perform in the field? It seems that a lot of people own them, but most of what I've seen people using tend to be something with a profile similar to the Clipper/Woodlore (or thereabouts).

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I do indeed have an article on my Nessmuk Trio up at JM’s magazine, (thanks for the plug Hoodoo). I have only one version by Dale Chudzinski and it really is a very nice one. A full-tang with curly birch in just about my favorite sized knife. It really is an excellent design….Nessmuk got it right….thin and handy for a host of chores.

FT9KellyFlame.jpg

The Lee Reeves ax is a beauty, a bargain, and a joy to use. Ask for the Nessmuk profile…one thin one more stout edge and you are set. Mine is fiddleback maple but his Osage Orange helve is excellent too.

reevesnessmuk29308ex.jpg

The thin Nesmuk and curve makes for a super efficient and handy kitchen tool. Any knife I use must work in the kitchen first or I simply will not carry it.

nveg32687vx.jpg

Mountain Mike made me a nice double thickness, emu laced sheath for mine.

EmuNessmuk2.jpg

n3cedar32165ua.jpg

nax31611ry.jpg

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Great posts guys. I never thougt I would buy the double bit axe, because you can't baton them. But the more I look at them, the more I like them. I love Osage Orange and maple so I think I'll be checking out Lee Reeves' site. :D

Michiel

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Draven said:
Nice knives :D

I've always wondered, how does a Nessmuk perform in the field? It seems that a lot of people own them, but most of what I've seen people using tend to be something with a profile similar to the Clipper/Woodlore (or thereabouts).

I use the one with the striped maple handles backpacking all the time. It cuts great. The handle is long and fills the hand well for extended cutting. The blade's edge goes almost to the handle for good cutting leverage.

It is thin 3/32 so I have never batoned wood with it but I'm not big on that anyway. Nessmuk's whole thing was a thin bladed knife and a small hatchet and used in that way it works great.

It's my favorite knife. Although I use the Fallkniven F1 a lot at home in the woods because it cuts great also and is stainless.

Hoodoo,

How does the Reeves with the maple handle work? I considered those but I was afraid the Maple would be too soft and not stand up to extended chopping. Have you used yours a lot?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
michiel said:
Great posts guys. I never thougt I would buy the double bit axe, because you can't baton them. But the more I look at them, the more I like them. I love Osage Orange and maple so I think I'll be checking out Lee Reeves' site. :D

Michiel

Lee makes a single bit also that I have been eyeballing for quite a while. I really like the double but a single bit probably has more uses for me than the double. I tend to use my GB Hunter's ax alot more than the double, but for some things the double is just perfect. I again trimmed my Christmas tree of limbs this year to compost them. The Nessmuk was my choice. Reading Nessmuk and thinking about his camping methods really illustrates why his tool choices worked for him, his time and his style.

JM has been uploading chapters of Nessmuk recently on the outdoors-magazine so if anyone does not have the text, you can read it there. Chapter 2 covers his tools.

I do not have a lot of miles on my Reeves ax but have not a single concern about the maple helve. This one will likely outlast me. Reeves work is exceptional and would have pleased the picky Nessmuk. Finding quality double hand axes is very difficult, and Lee's work is well worth the money and the wait.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a note on the axe front since its cropped up. Lee Reeves stuff is currently running about 12 months waiting list ...mine is being polished next week :D

Klenchblaize - if you would like to play, just call (mine will be Nessmuk ground )

That said, given the interest, Cegga is preparing a Nessmuk ground hatchet, so whn we have worked that out, I will have two as a basis for comparison. If ceggas work is as good as it looks, I'll try to find a way to make it available to you guys

Red

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
nessmuktrio37469tp.jpg

I am a pretty firm believer in using a selection of fine tools rather than a single one to do the job. A Nessmuk thin knife coupled with a hand ax just seems to work.

gbdalekm37314em.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow, I so love that top set mate!

I need to post the MO off to Charmagne for mine tomorrow (actually my GF is as its my belated Christamas present - got to love her huh?)

But I want it NOW :D

Red

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well that is a grand present. Every time I use my Reeves ax I think I should send him off a request for the single bit. His forge work is just too amazing to believe. Once you use the ax you can just feel the perfect grind angles working in your favor. The very smooth transitions from the edge to the eye are a joy to use....I am quite sure you will like that ax.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a delight to hear thank you. I'm "going bush" for a few days in February as I wanted to go for a really "brisk" trip this year and, with luck, the Reeves will come with me along with some other gear I'm really looking forward to evaluating.

As you say though - what a present :eek: - I went for a curly Maple handle (although Lee has been kind enough to make me a couple of ash spares as well). I really look forward to giving it a solid workout!

That said, I'm very excited to see what cegga comes up with for me in the nessmuk grind too! Now the opportunity to compare those two axe masters work is something I doubt anyone has ever had the chance to do!

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Schwert said:
Well that is a grand present. Every time I use my Reeves ax I think I should send him off a request for the single bit. His forge work is just too amazing to believe. Once you use the ax you can just feel the perfect grind angles working in your favor. The very smooth transitions from the edge to the eye are a joy to use....I am quite sure you will like that ax.

Whut? You don't have the single bit? :eek: Randy, that would go with yer new watch big time. Very stylin' :cool: BTW, I like the single bit so much, I bought two. They totally rock. ;)

reeves1b.jpg

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Great axes guys. I've got a cheap axe of an unknown brand. It worked for me so far, but I think I'm going to buy a better axe. GB or Wetterlings I guess.

Michiel

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
penvisser said:
Does anyone know where can i get a nesmuk blade blank?

Best regards,

Penvisser
Penvisser, As far as I know there are no nesmuk blade available commercially. You can get a custom knfemaker to make one for you, or you can get a Russell Harrington Buffalo skinner or Sheep skinner blades and modify them. They are a good value.

beowolf762 said:
Penvisser, As far as I know there are no nesmuk blade available commercially. You can get a custom knfemaker to make one for you, or you can get a Russell Harrington Buffalo skinner or Sheep skinner blades and modify them. They are a good value.

:eek: Ok, didn't know that..... the fact is, I have a upswept skinner blade like Russell Harington......so, guess what I am going to do wirh that knife....?

Thanks for the info :notworthy

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
penvisser said:
Does anyone know where can i get a nesmuk blade blank?

Best regards,

Penvisser

what sort of size would you need ?
i think i would like to have a bash at one myself. might be a big on the bige side for me tho. still might be interesting to finde out!
chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE