Show your homemade stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Being something of a newbie here I've missed out on a lot of postings and it's all I can do to keep up with the new stuff so excuse me if this is a done to death request.

I recently made a Bowsaw/Bucksaw after seeing the one Nodd had made from an old sofa frame, I've rehandled my folding saw, I've done some man-knitting with paracord bracelets. Made a couple of leather knife sheaths and leatherman tool pouches, I'm currently waiting on delivery of some lathe chisels for my soon to be made pole lathe, but in the meantime I find myself itching to make something, tools would be preferred or some kit or other. Perhaps one of those Lynx effect stoves.

So here's me asking you to repost pix of some of your homemade stuff that us newbies can see for the first time and you older members can have your memory refreshed by seeing again. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance ... c'mon you know you want to and I'd really like to see it and get some inspiration.

Biker

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Im in rather a rush this morning ... but here is a DIY tripod I made / put together:

PC250047.jpg

Bushcraft on Christmas Day 2009 - for my niece, obviously!

SDC11629.jpg

Onfire

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If you need inspiration to make your own gear, John Fenna wrote the book...
happy0034.gif
character0248.gif

My booklet
"A Basic Guide to making your own, Budget, Bushcrafting Equipment" is still available.

14 fully illustrated, step by step projects (using the simplest of tools) plus detailed instructions on seaming etc.

The projects cover - Drybag, stuffsack,Poncho/basha, Giant Basha, Daysack, Canvas "Foraging" Bag, Zipped Bivvi bag, trivet, Billy Can, Hobo Stove, Coconut Mug, Coconut Ladle or water dipper, Soft Leather Storage Pouches, Leather "Possibles" Pouch.
All in A4 format, wipe clean, cover with easily removed pages for ease of working.
Also available as a CD and in PDF format and ready to send out to you by e-mail.

All this for only £10 inc P&P!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I like a bit of leather work me self.:)

363sedited.jpg

LapplanderBeltSheathOUT.jpg

And for me old age.

S8001525.jpg

Not quite leather, but just as hard to sew.

S8002091.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the replies. I've PM'ed John about his book sounds like something work having a gander at.

Onfire. That tripod looks deceptively easy, I bet it wasn't. The stove thread was very interesting so resorting to a tripod did seema little superfluous if you have a decent pot stand. No offense intended.

Suart F, I had look at your work, most impressive, though a bit too stone age for my tastes, no disrespect intended there either. Do those fishing hooks really work? The harpoon looked particularly impressive.

FGYT. I've seen your hook chisels before and ruined my keyboard drooling over them... one day >sigh<. As for making a knife, it's a bit out of my comfort zone and lacking the tools does put me off having a go. What's with those plastic bottles? I didn't understand what you'd done with those.

Chopper, I think I've seen your beautiful leatherwork before over at British Blades. I saved everything not nailed down and scroll through the pix just envying what people have made. I've just finished making a sheath for my own bowie knife. I started it in 1985 and just got around to finishing... you can't rush these things. Now I've bought myself a firesteel and I may have to unpick the stitching to fit it on. My sheath design for my bowie, leatherman supertool and survival kit combined has taken a step to the back burner now as it's just too complicated and bulky. Fear of ballsing it up stops me. not enough leather to afford a mistake.

Many thanks for what you've shared already folks, most impressive indeed. Plenty of food for thought.
After doing some paid work today and while the wood is drying under cramps I pottered about with some beech to make three more of my compass set in wood paracord bracelets (see free comp man-knitting thread) Gowersponger got my prototype so I thought I'd have a go at making some more. That's got me at least happier now that the itch to make has been satiated. I'd still like to make some tools though, that Bucksaw really got me thinking. I had thought about trying to make a similar hacksaw one, but sawing metal in the wood is hardly a bushycraft sort of thing is it?

Looking forward to seeing what else you talented people have done. Don't be shy, share or point me in the right direction to have a look. It's frustrating to say the least as a lot of the older threads the images have long since been deleted.

Bye for now

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Loving those top two knives dazcon. Did you make them from scratch ?

Both knives were made from scratch. I wanted a Bark River Bravo-1 for outdoor pursuits but i was a bit short of cash so i decided to have a go at making myself something similar. I enjoyed doing it so i took it up as a hobby.
The small knife at the bottom was made from a Sabatier chefs knife that had a broken handle. I made that one for my 12 year old son.

Dazcon.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Love the top knife in the pics Dazcon :)
Looks like the ergo's of the handle are spot on!

That's just what I was thinking, like the little thumb ramp on top of the blade too. You say you made your own micarta ?

I'd love to have a go at making something like that, think you could find your way to giving me some tips and advice ?

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE