Show us your stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The ETA is very good for a gas stove, the Hiker + is just a Nova in a can, IMHO your better off with the Nova as it packs very small. The Omnifuel is excelent as like the Nova can burn paraffin and naptha it also burns gas. I have a couple and are well pleased with them, mount one in a Trangia for just about the fastest boiling stove going, certainly quicker than a Jetboil.

Can't really disagree with any of that, but having recently found the ETA stoves I have pondered the ETA multifuel as an option.

When I am car camping, I'm less concerned with bulk than convenience and in fact rather fancy one of these http://www.hawkmoor.com/detail.php?p=33. Not that I am going to get one of course.

Graham

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I've already suggested a meths option, but my original post with the Yukon were from camp sites South Penquite in Cornwall and Cloud Farm on Exmoor.

I also have an email from a Camping and Caravanning Club site where "fires" are banned saying, after seeing pictures of the firebox, they were happy to let me use it on their site. But to be fair fires and camp sites are a bit of a problem

It was for camp sites where fires are banned completey that I bought the Primus Eta. Quick and no hassle. I find meths slow and expensive for camp site use and for camp site use I have for years used Parafin pressure stoves such as these:

parafin_pressure_stoves_2008.png

I now make the effort to find camp sites that allow fires, and use the gas ETA in emergencies. If I was looking for a stove for proper camp site cooking I would stick with my existing stoves (in picture) or look at the modern versions. Primus Omnifuel or Optimus Hunter+

Graham

Cannot not see your pictures you refer to in your posting No7 :(

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Cannot not see your pictures you refer to in your posting No7 :(

This is getting tedious, I can see them fine here, but I have deleted them and re-posted the links.

Has this helped, the problem in the past seemed to be related to using JPEGS, but using PNGs seem to fix it, but these were PNGs.

Can you see them now?

Graham

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Some really nice wood burners, but what about some meth burners? trangia type stoves?

I'm looking at them more as I'd be on campsites more often than in the middle of the woods.
If ultra light isn't essential, consider the Swedish Army model Trangia...
48_2.JPG

They're quite versatile, and very sturdy, run on meths, or hung over a fire. Available in aluminium or stainless steel, they can also store loads of odds & ends in the pot when packed for storage. Mine's like a Tardis, lots of little bottles- Olive oil, washing up detergent, soy sauce, pepper, as well as the burner, meths bottle, pot grabber, firesteel, and LMF spork.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
neither can i :rolleyes:

OK, thanks. is there any error message or any clue as to what the problem might be. As I said they are appearing here OK. However....

I have now opened an account at Photobucket, moved the pics there and inserted them again.

Can you see them now?

Can you see the pic in post 20?

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
yup can see it now :)

Thanks, maybe this is the answer then. I will use photobucket instead of picasa, but the last couple of times this has happened the picasa ones did eventually appear. I think - at least people stopped complaining.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can't really disagree with any of that, but having recently found the ETA stoves I have pondered the ETA multifuel as an option.

When I am car camping, I'm less concerned with bulk than convenience and in fact rather fancy one of these http://www.hawkmoor.com/detail.php?p=33. Not that I am going to get one of course.

Graham

The Hawkmore is just another Nova in a can like the Hiker+ If you want that type of stove go for an Optimus 111T, like the Nova it burns paraffin and naptha but also meths and can be had for about £30 on eBay. The 111T also has a hotter burner unit and is perhaps my favourite model of stove.

Here is a 111T burner mounted in a Trangia clone, works very well
DSCF3191.jpg

Going back to the Primus Omnifuel; shop around and you can get one for about £100 which sounds like a lot of money, but when you think of its versitility (burns liquid fuel and gas), high power output, great simmer flame, much cheaper than gas to run, folds up very small and can be easily mounted in a proper Trangia, its great value for money (plus it will truly last your lifetime). Not talking as a stove collector here but as someone who wants a high performance four season, any temperature/altitude stove then I would have to say this is the one to go for.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The Hawkmore is just another Nova in a can like the Hiker+ If you want that type of stove go for an Optimus 111T, like the Nova it burns paraffin and naptha but also meths and can be had for about £30 on eBay. The 111T also has a hotter burner unit and is perhaps my favourite model of stove.

Mmmm, I now realise that my pictures weren't showing, which they now are, and you can now see that the picture of the stoves I use are a 111T and primus 210. and in fact a 96 not shown in this picture.

However, I now realise that the Hawkmoor wasn't what I thought it was. The model I was thinking of stiil uses the optimus parts but built into a rigid box, so you just lift the lid and liht the stove, no fuel tank to fold out.

I know its a tiny tiny inconvenience, but I find the folding tank a bit awkward on rough ground. I realise this isn't a problem with the Nova, and indeed if I were really in the market for a new stove it would be the Nova or omnifuel I would be buying.

But I still fancy this other stove that I can't remember the name of OR an Army No12.

You know the stove I mean, they were built for relief operations, stainless steel casing and I think built in Dorset, but using Optimus Nova/hiker parts. I'm not sure you if you can still buy them.

Graham

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
You know the stove I mean, they were built for relief operations, stainless steel casing and I think built in Dorset, but using Optimus Nova/hiker parts. I'm not sure you if you can still buy them.

That would be the Nomad Stove built by Camping Solutions and used by the charity Shelterbox. Built like a brick out house and twice as heavy.... A 111T makes more sense...

Cheers

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mmmm, I now realise that my pictures weren't showing, which they now are, and you can now see that the picture of the stoves I use are a 111T and primus 210. and in fact a 96 not shown in this picture.

However, I now realise that the Hawkmoor wasn't what I thought it was. The model I was thinking of stiil uses the optimus parts but built into a rigid box, so you just lift the lid and liht the stove, no fuel tank to fold out.

I know its a tiny tiny inconvenience, but I find the folding tank a bit awkward on rough ground. I realise this isn't a problem with the Nova, and indeed if I were really in the market for a new stove it would be the Nova or omnifuel I would be buying.

But I still fancy this other stove that I can't remember the name of OR an Army No12.

Graham

Sounds (as someone else said) like the Nomad, another Nova in a can, a big can this time:) You could opt for the 111's little brother the Optimus 8, and you can get Russian clones of these on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300315017137

I have two No.12's, big, heavy, stainless steel and brass, big fuel tank, fantastic cookers

The large fuel tank means I can do some heavy duty cooking over a weekend without refilling.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
That would be the Nomad Stove built by Camping Solutions and used by the charity Shelterbox. Built like a brick out house and twice as heavy.... A 111T makes more sense...

That would be the one.

I didn't say it made any sense, just that I rather fancied one:)

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Sounds (as someone else said) like the Nomad, another Nova in a can, a big can this time:) You could opt for the 111's little brother the Optimus 8, and you can get Russian clones of these on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300315017137

I have two No.12's, big, heavy, stainless steel and brass, big fuel tank, fantastic cookers

Yes it is the Nomad I was thinking of, and yes it is a big can , but the No12s, well what can I say, I still think they look great stoves.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE