Show us your stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like a twig burner.

twigstove5c.jpg

twigstove7c.jpg

lapsang_souchong2c.jpg

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
The garden 'stove' ;)
tripod.jpg

Tentipi Firebox
DSC01771-1.jpg

Yukon Firebox
DSC01907.jpg

Honeystove 09 (shown here in bottom corner) - my favourite at the moment.
IMG000421.jpg

Bushbuddy.
IMGP1829.jpg

I could show another dozen stoves and cooking set-ups but these are to hand.

LBL

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Trangia 27k duossal.Nothing to go wrong,nothing to break,works every time no matter the weather.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Here are a few pics of our Yukon firebox

trying_to_keep_warm__bodmin_moor_ap.png

As a blazing fire to help keep warm. Sorry about the poly bags I ended up with a collection of different wood types/ sizes/and ages scattered amongst several bags.

reflecting_heat_into_the_tent___bod.png

Closer view wth a bit of foil to reflect the heat into our seats

spag_bol__and_trying_not_to_burn_th.png

Cooking some spag bol with the fire ticking over. That is a 16cm Zebra kettle on the left and a British Army No2 pan on the firebox. The latter being exactly the right size and shape for the Yukon.

yukon_firebox___exmoor_april_2009.png

And a better view. This time with a 2.6l tatonka billy

The link is here:

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm

I sit it on the tray/table to protect the grass and the grill lets me keep the hot pots off the grass. Additionally, I can pick the whole lot up and move it closer to, or even into the tent as it becomes less of a fire and more hot embers.

It's just a posh box, with some holes in it, but it seems to work well and folds up flat.

I've also got one of these http://www.woodgasstove.co.uk/ which I run with a solar panel powering the fan. This is brilliant, a few easy to light twigs at the bottom of a twig pyramid lit with a long barbacue lighter (to reach the bottom) and this thing lights instantly, burns lke a furnace and seems impervious to weather conditions. Its meant to use a tenth of the fuel that an open fire uses.

The solar panel holds rechargeable batteries so when its dull, the fan runs from the batteries. Without the fan, it doesn't really work at all. You can light it with a firesteel/matches etc but it seem to come up to heat much quicker when its lit from the bottom.

I would love to try the wood gas stove with a Kelly Kettle.

For quick and easy we have just bought a Primus Eta EF with the heat exchange pots. Runs on gas, but very efficiently and uses far less gas than other gas stoves. My test in the garden brought 1 litre of water to the boil in 2.5 minutes, it was windy but not especially cold. Useful for when fires aren't allowed. The standard size models come with an insulated carrying case that you can sit the hot pot in (with rice etc) where it will keep cooking while you cook the meat/sauce on the stove.

A sort of a take on the old hay box cooking idea.

OK enough now, but I do have a few other stoves :D

Graham

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use a Nimblewill stove. I used to use a Wayland style hobo stove, but found the Nimblewill more space economical. I use wood fuel in mine rather than other kinds. I just like the idea of cooking on fire because I'm an old romantic at heart.
You can't buy them (I don't think) - you have to make them yourself. You can easily find the plans (which are free) by Googling 'Nimblewill Stove'. Mine's stainless steel, but some have made them from titanium.
What I like most about this stove is that it packs flat - a very good advantage.

3545463577_b7ffc39f8c.jpg

3545463715_986ca242e5.jpg

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Some really nice wood burners, but what about some meth burners? trangia type stoves?

I'm looking at them more as I'd be on campsites more often than in the middle of the woods.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Any trangia is good ,the 27 is ideal for two and the 25 is good for upto four.
You get two pots ,a frying pan and with the "k" series you get a kettle.They come in ultralight,nonstick,duossal,hard anodised and plain old aluminium.
After years of using all types of stove ,I have settled on the trangia,the first stove I ever bought,they are just unbeatable.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've got a trangia, not sure what series but it's round and comes with two pots, a kettle and a frying pan I'm ust wondering what else people use.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some really nice wood burners, but what about some meth burners? trangia type stoves?

I'm looking at them more as I'd be on campsites more often than in the middle of the woods.

The Tatonka is a good little meths burner Asa, cheap aswell

Do a search and you should get plentys of hits for them. SimonM did a nice little review on some burners not to long ago.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bush Cooker/Buddy. Love the tinyness of it and that it fits so neatly into the Tibetan titanium pot....

16May200918.jpg

Also fits my mug too for a quick brew...

26Apr200913.jpg

Gimme a natural wood burning stove any day. No smoke either once it gets going.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
For meths stoves, I have a white box stove http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product230.asp

I sit this inside a bushbuddy or honey stove for protection form the wind. It gives the versatility of a wood stove, plus meths for emergency.

In fact I'm not a fan of the white box stove finding it very tempremental in windy weather even when sheltered. I often fail to boil my 600ml of water as I run out of meths. It needs to be at exactly the right distance form the pan for it to work well.

If you want to reduce bullk from the trangia, then I would go for the honey stove and use your existing trangia burner in it. This then gives you a wood option as well.

I think now a days I would prefer the Tatonka burner (just from what I've read as I haven't used one) but as you have the trangia any way...

Graham

a honey well stove and a Trangia Burner gives you a massive range of options
or make your own Pop can meths burner as well easy and fun to make
was always scheptical about these types of stoves but my mate got one of the group buy and its works really well as a wood burner and designed to fit the Trangia. also Hexi block or Green heat gel (Dof E approved :rolleyes: also avalible as a Trangia insert ). good size for Billy cans my mate used a 16cm zebra and Crusader Mug etc
had a trangia knock of from Lidels for £8 no kettle but as good as other wise and cheaper than a trangia Burner on its own.

ATB

Duncan

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

I've already suggested a meths option, but my original post with the Yukon were from camp sites South Penquite in Cornwall and Cloud Farm on Exmoor.

I also have an email from a Camping and Caravanning Club site where "fires" are banned saying, after seeing pictures of the firebox, they were happy to let me use it on their site. But to be fair fires and camp sites are a bit of a problem

It was for camp sites where fires are banned completey that I bought the Primus Eta. Quick and no hassle. I find meths slow and expensive for camp site use and for camp site use I have for years used Parafin pressure stoves such as these:

parafin_pressure_stoves_2008.png

I now make the effort to find camp sites that allow fires, and use the gas ETA in emergencies. If I was looking for a stove for proper camp site cooking I would stick with my existing stoves (in picture) or look at the modern versions. Primus Omnifuel or Optimus Hunter+

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The ETA is very good for a gas stove, the Hiker + is just a Nova in a can, IMHO your better off with the Nova as it packs very small. The Omnifuel is excelent as like the Nova can burn paraffin and naptha it also burns gas. I have a couple and are well pleased with them, mount one in a Trangia for just about the fastest boiling stove going, certainly quicker than a Jetboil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE