Show us your stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Trangia for me.

Weighs a ton but still going like new after 17yrs, so can't complain.

12.jpg

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I like my hobo stoves made from cutlery drainers. I have a woodgas version in production but it's not finished yet.

DSCF0453.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3003150 17137

Richard, these clones that you mentioned; do you know if they are any good?
I quite fancy one.

WS

We nicknamed them R8 stoves, made in Russia, burn coleman, panel wipe, Aspen 4T etc; perfect one man stove. Small fuel tank, burns about 45 minutes at full power, but obviously longer when you reduce to a simmer they are a well made bit of kit.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Afternoon all.

I was wandering around a little shop near us today when I spotted this second hand. It is labelled as a 'Meta 71'. Not much on the web about these but it is a little gem.

meat71_2.jpg

It is Swiss made (a forerunner of the Volcano stove?).

meat71_1.jpg

It all packs inside the cup and the handles fold flat.

meat71_3.jpg

It stacks up on the stand and has a lid which always helps. The total weight of the cooker is about 3 1/2oz (which for reference is just heavier than the lighter!).

meat71_4.jpg

It burns hexi blocks. I only had cheapies from the high street which are not so hot (more MOD ones on the way from Endicotts now). The cup holds 1/2pt or 300ml. I filled it right up and fired up the tablets. From cold it took ~10 mins to get a rolling boil. I would probably use a bit less water for a brew but I was after noodles!

All in all it was well worth the £1.50 and I'm a happy chap.

Cheers,
Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Afternoon all.

I was wandering around a little shop near us today when I spotted this second hand. It is labelled as a 'Meta 71'. Not much on the web about these but it is a little gem.

meat71_2.jpg

It is Swiss made (a forerunner of the Volcano stove?).

meat71_1.jpg

It all packs inside the cup and the handles fold flat.

meat71_3.jpg

It stacks up on the stand and has a lid which always helps. The total weight of the cooker is about 3 1/2oz (which for reference is just heavier than the lighter!).

meat71_4.jpg

It burns hexi blocks. I only had cheapies from the high street which are not so hot (more MOD ones on the way from Endicotts now). The cup holds 1/2pt or 300ml. I filled it right up and fired up the tablets. From cold it took ~10 mins to get a rolling boil. I would probably use a bit less water for a brew but I was after noodles!

All in all it was well worth the £1.50 and I'm a happy chap.

Cheers,
Steve

Nice setup Steve, they were designed to burn small 'Meta' fuel tablets, the type often used to pre-heat paraffin Primus stoves. These were much smaller than hexi blocks. These were popular with climbers and hill walkers back in the 60's and 70's, they work well. I've got one somewhere, and a box of the Meta fuel, all I have to do is find it now:rolleyes:

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Nice setup Steve, they were designed to burn small 'Meta' fuel tablets, the type often used to pre-heat paraffin Primus stoves. These were much smaller than hexi blocks. These were popular with climbers and hill walkers back in the 60's and 70's, they work well. I've got one somewhere, and a box of the Meta fuel, all I have to do is find it now:rolleyes:

Meta is metaldehyde http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaldehyde. The blocks were like a pleasant smelling glucose tablet - much nicer stuff than hexi=hexamine=hexamethylenetetramine. I don't know whether you can get it easily now.

Jim

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I just put my billy can in the fire or on the edge of it.

I cant be bothered with a stove, if it needs to be above the fire I use sticks in some kind of manner.

If I can't use a fire I use this:

Clean and packs away in a very small size, was only £17 too.

Infcat I'm thinking of getting another one to keep in the bag I keep in my boot so I can boil up a brew, I've got a Compact Mini Swedish Army Personel Gel Cooker in there at the moment, good and small but nowhere near as quick as the Gelert.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
So, what do you lot think of the Volcano stove anyway? ( coz its been mentioned, I've been poking about Endicotts and saw them there)

Cooker or just a water heater ?

And what do you feed it?

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The last 3 months I`ve used a fire box from Tenttipi. I have thought about buying one for years, but was worried about how good it really was. It is rather expensive.

IMG_2430.jpg

But this spring I thought what the heck, I buy one. And I have not regretted that I did.
The fire box is a great piece of kit. The amount of fuel one use is much less than with an ordinary fire as I used before.
I really recommend these stoves.

Tor

jgarkk.jpg

First up is a Swedish ranger stove. I got this issued, I probably wouldn't buy this stove. Its not as good as a trangia and heavier, though more rugged than a trangia stove. I only use it if I'm forced to.

minitrangia.jpg

The second stove is one I use allot, my dear mini trangia. Perfect size to boil water for one person. Small light and surprisingly rugged. The stove sits on the snow plate, used obviously only during the winter. I recently modified the gripper thingy so i can attach it to a piece of wood and use the pot over an open fire.

oldarmy.jpg

The grandfather of trangia, an old swedish ''snusk burk'' (some thing like ''nasty pot'' in queen's English). This is the one in steel, which is more durable than the one in Al.
What more can I say, its a pot to hang over the fire nothing more nothing less, very simple and very durable. I bought this one without the burner and wind brake. If i need an alcohol stove I'll bring a superior trangia. But if i know its going to be open fire business this old trusted one comes along.

trangia.jpg

The newest one, a trangia with the multifuel burner. Good for colder conditions when your alcohol or gas won't burn, or when you need the extra effect for melting snow or just don't feel like waiting =) I run this one on pure gasoline, which makes it run very clean. Really nice stove all in all.

brnsle.jpg

To end this post I bring You some different fuel containers and an improvised water bottle/ cooker. The 0,5 liter soda bottle fits snuggly into the cut of beer can.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bear, nice stoves, and I agree about the real Trangia being superior to the army setup. I too use a liquid fuel stove in a Trangia in winter, sometime an Optimus Nova, Primus Omnifuel or more recently a modified burner from an Optimus 111T mounted in a Trangia clone

DSCF3241.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

Nice setup Rik.

The multifuel burner sold by trangia is a optimus nova if i'm not mistaken.

I did consider a stand alone burner like the nova or omnifuel, but the trangia/optimus combination seemed more practical to me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice setup Rik.

The multifuel burner sold by trangia is a optimus nova if i'm not mistaken.

I did consider a stand alone burner like the nova or omnifuel, but the trangia/optimus combination seemed more practical to me.

The only advantate the stand alone Nova has is in group cooking, I can cook 6 litres of stew on a Nova.

This wood stove works OK but much heat is lost if their is even the slightest breeze and wood used burns much to fast...

normal_hobostove-1.jpg

This Rocket stove works great wind did not really affect it at all and less wood was used but you have to keep watch and feed it fuel constantly to keep it working properly...

normal_rocketstove.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE