Show us your natural shelters.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This series of photos shows the evolution of a shelter my daughter and I built during rainy season in Central Brazil.

rcmacmedindoasarvoresmg1.jpg

measuring the trees for body length

rcerinwithbarkandbedfrajt4.jpg

Basic bunk bed frame with bark for lashing

rclassosdecascasd1.jpg

Detail of bark lasing

rcabrigovistodatrilhawo2.jpg

Finished product on day two

rcoabrigopu0.jpg

The shelter on the first night. We had heavy tropical rain all night and both stayed nice and dry. The outermost uprights ran like faucets. Mac

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Not much shelter but it is natural :). Quite a cold days hike in Sweden this winter. The pictures is taken before I started the fire with my new hobo stove as you can see.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i lived in this one for four nights on the excellent woodsmoke solo abo course, and slept very well ta very much.

soloabo099.jpg

that's not me btw, but a visitor to my little camp. i have some other pics of other shelters, just need to find 'em.

cheers, and.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
128.jpg

130.jpg

This one is still under construction. It is a raised bed type, which would be used with a long log fire. Hot rocks could be rolled under the platform to help keep you warm.

Love the look of that one so far, dont suppose you have more pics of it? Also are they any danger with boiled/hot rocks? been told they can explode? otherwise that is a fantastic idea for a bit of warmth!

None from me, although shall be heading out sometime this month hopfully so will be taking the camera with me

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Here are a few from various Bushcraft Courses in Chopwell Woods, just outside of Newcastle:
2585204286_331946701d.jpg

2584382037_57e6f688f5.jpg

There are three shelters here if you look carefully:
3399072739_fe0f592106_b.jpg

Here's the basic frame:
2585194638_b2b9d68a35.jpg

Mark

Liam1811

Banned
Mar 10, 2009
Kent, England
Anyone have any tutorials for making a decent shelter? For example, would love to see one for the shelter that used ridge poles etc (am not familiar with the name, am new to bushcraft)

Anyone have any tutorials for making a decent shelter? For example, would love to see one for the shelter that used ridge poles etc (am not familiar with the name, am new to bushcraft)

Liam, if you are not carrying an oilcloth or similar then it is a matter of using what ever is available regardless of the shelter framework. Most eastern woodland Indian shelters used either woven mats made from the cattail plant, or they used bark from trees. I see you are in the UK, so you may have access to the cattail reeds or even bark from fallen trees. If this is not available then you will need to use either grass of forest debris. With either of these you simply have to add enough sticks and poles to the frame to support the debris.

You start from the bottom of the framework, from the ground up. You keep adding debris, piling it on top working your way upward. The thickness/depth needs to be an arms length deep if you can get it.

Here in my forest we have few deciduous trees, so there is very little leaf litter. My choices here are natural shelters such as hollow trees, lying down or still standing, frameworks covered with bark, but I will not de-bark a living tree for this purpose unless it was a survival situation, or I use my oilcloth. The latter method is easy and by far my most prefered method.
Le Loup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE