Show us yer tents!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Geoff and Rik
It must be down to the colour: I got one of those orange ones (even though I'd ordered green). I did get mine for a very good price from the UK, so I wonder if I just bought one from a dodgy batch. Who knows.

I've always used a nest with my Hex 3 and would sit watching the drips fall from the the outer to the inner from the seam lines. As far as the tent collapse in the wind, that was more due to my lack of preparation more than anything else. I should have secured the centre pole and made sure all the pegs were secure, which i clearly didn't.

Anyway I've sealed the seams good and proper this time, lets hope it helps. See, the thing is, for the weight it's such an roomy tent. and so I'm loathe to go back to a relatively cramped North Face--even though the North Face always feels totally weather proof.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For solo treking during buggy weather, I enjoy using the MSR Hubba I.

hubba1c.jpg

hubba1notarp1.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wintrup, to hear about your troubles with the Hex 3. I too own a Hex 3 and have had no problems at all and its had a coupl eof real bashings, most notably pitched quite near the edge of a cliff overlooking three cliffs bay on the gower penisula which seemed like a great idea at the time with an astounding view, but later in the evening/night the rain was horizontal and I used the extra guy lines for the first time, but had no notable problem from the inside, in the morning the porch area of my mates coleman biosphere tent had been flattened and the fibreglass poles splintered, but my Hex was kinda sitting there saying bring it on!

I'm suprised you've had one side lifting up in high wind too, maybe invest in some more substantial pegs, but once pegged down firmly at all corners and guyed out I really don't see how the pole could move once the tension straps have been pulled down tight (not too tight though otherwise you start to bend the pole!).

Your expereience doesn't sound good though I have to say. Hope you get it sorted as its not a cheap piece of kit.

By the way, I use the nest when the weather isn't looking good and this certainly helps to make it 'feel' safer/dryer inside, but thats just in my mind...

Geoff

Good reply Geoff, at work today I was thinking about the post and of course, it must have been a peg problem:banghead: :banghead: the pegs are one thing I did replace after using the tent for the first time. The pegs that come with it are short and thin (and bloody sharp when you remove them), and don't 'grip' ground much, so I picked up a batch of the longer 'V' type pegs, trust me, they don't budge in the wind. Also, I don't share a peg with the nest and the tent, I double peg always, yes heavier, but a lot stonger pitch I think. Hope all this helps Wintrup, the Hex is a great shelter

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Also, I don't share a peg with the nest and the tent, I double peg always, yes heavier, but a lot stonger pitch I think. Hope all this helps Wintrup, the Hex is a great shelter

I was thinking of double pegging and now I will do it. Thanks for that. The leaking is another issue, a quality control one I think.

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Yeah, sounds like you've been unlucky and got one with a fault in the seams or something. Dunno if these are hand or machine stictched, maybe something missed or introduced in is production has caused your failure.

Apart from some expected condensation, I've never had a leak.

Hope it holds up for you now you've resealed it.

As somebody else above mentioned, double pegging is a good idea (as in peg the inner and outer seperately. Like the idea of the cross pegging too, never really thought about that, but seems to make good sense (or at least it would if I bought a bunch more pegs and was mad enough to be heading out in a huricane!).

Cheers
Geoff

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
I´ve got an VE23 from The North Face. It looks similar to the legendary VE25 but has got only three poles were VE25 got four and is blue in the color. Then I´ve got an norwegian two man tent from Helsport. It has Gore-tex upper and only one pole. The smallest "tent" is a bivvi-bag from Karrimor. It has no pole, has a Gore-tex upper and the opening is a zipper with a flap between the left shoulder and the right hip. The length is about 250 cm which is enough to store a 50 liter backpack "over" the head. The size stuffed is approx 35x10 (cm) and the weight is about almost one kilogram. It can be annoying sleeping with the Gore-tex close to your face. But if one´s really tired, it´s ok. My VE23 is my one room with a kitchen when I´m out. I´m sorry I don´t include pics, cause I´ve got them "on paper" and not digitally. /Mimung

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
Ive decided to replace my frame tent with a 6 man tent for when we go away with the littleun, although if it all goes well I want to invest in a tipi type tent at some point. They look tempting! Mrstorey were you pitched in a pub beer garden in that third photo? Nice one :beerchug:

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
tentipi.jpg

Thats my dream tent I've been drooling over them for about 5 years now

Can't fund it. i.e. sneak it the garage and intercept the bill

If caught I'd be living in it on a permanent basis. I'll keep drooling.

How do you find it ?? Have you got a stove (if so which one)

Beening nosey now where did you buy it from

ATB Rich​

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
tentipi.jpg

Thats my dream tent I've been drooling over them for about 5 years now

Can't fund it. i.e. sneak it the garage and intercept the bill

If caught I'd be living in it on a permanent basis. I'll keep drooling.

How do you find it ?? Have you got a stove (if so which one)

Beening nosey now where did you buy it from

ATB Rich​

I have been drooling over one for 2 years and saved up for it. Took 1 year to persuade the wife. It better last for 20 years! I got it from Taunton Leisure - they now stock a fair range of Tentipi. Got a firebox and heatpal to go with it. When I bought it it was so expensive I had to lie down for several hours to recover. I still have not got the credit card bill yet. Gulp! I think it will cost me another kid though. Everything has its price - and it not always just the one on the ticket!​

[COLOR="Purple" I've got many tents and this is a small selection here. I nearly always bought ex army ones as they always were better for longevity than commercial ones but recently I've invested in a tipi and a hoy x 2.

]This is my main lightweightish winter tent but mine is the newer one in woodland cammo. This is the warmest and toughest tent I own. It's very rare to get a hold of one and was only £70 new from ebay.
[/COLOR][/FONT

]http://www.west.loadup.com/military/surplus/12747.html

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]This is the family camping tent-all year round...
20feb07etive011.jpg

This is my lightweight set up...
lochlomondapril07hammock.jpg

This is my serious winter tent...
http://www.tentsplus.co.uk/4arip.htm

This is my lads first tent-but don't buy it, I've had two and both times the zips went!
http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/brands/Wild+Country/Hoy

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
Some fantastic tents here people, I'm impressed.

Here is a tent that one of my sons bought himself at the weekend for our upcoming family camping trip. Its a Cordoba 5. Not bad for £100.00! :)

Finally, I have sussed the problem with uploading pictures. I was using the wrong imageshack link.

McShug

Jul 28, 2007
Eastbourne
Our latest tent:

A Vaude Gobi - 3 man tent but not the lightest at 3.2kg, but when we only paid £20 in an Argos catalogue clearance centre who can argue.

We bought it as a festival tent.

828227419_429b852772.jpg

This was taken at Guilfest this year.

I think there is always a dilemma when buying tents for festivals - it needs to be big enough for 2 people and all their festival tranklements, not too heavy as you have to carry it from the car, with all your booze & belongings etc.. and it could be a couple of miles, not too expensive - so if it gets squashed flat & the poles get broken by some drunk tripping over guy lines and landing on your tent, it gets binned and it does have to stand up to some good ole English summer weather (ie) scorching sunshine (no black or dark blue tents - just too hot) or gale force winds and/or torrential rain.

I think we have found our perfect festival tent.

McShug

Last edited:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
A Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for company. A fantastic versatile tent.

and a Macpac Microlight for when I'm on my own.

Neither is cheap, but when it's 2am and it's blowing a hoolie with lashing rain and you're in the backend of nowhere 2500ft up in the British hills you suddenly see the sense of your investment.

Scoops

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
I've got a Vaude Hogan 2 man tent. I liked the Mark II with its 2 entrances but it was more expensive and i only needed a 2 man for me and maybe another person on the odd occasion so the hogan is great. Think its fantastic but if i'm going solo lightweight i will usually opt for my tarp and hammock these days

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Tents....
I have too many... And not enough...

I have this one...
keron3ca1.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

...and this one...
nammatj2fz2.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

...and this one...
stalon2kr3.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

...and this one...
staikavx6.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

...and this one.
aktofs0.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

And I'm seriously eyeing the Tentipi ones.
A man can't have too many tents... :D

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE