Show me your little outdoorkitchen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden

This tea/coffepot is the one kit I almost always carry with me. I had some different parts, which I put together like this. Simple and reliable. I cook mostly over open fire, but it´s good in the morning to use the burner for the tea or coffe.
What is your favourite?

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
For longer trips (more than two days) usually I carry this.

14032209.jpg

The knife differs though, but the Strømeng was with me on this trip.

When out on a day trip or an overnighter I use a "coffee can" cooking wessel.
I mostly cook over an open fire.

Tor

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I have three set ups depending on if I'm on my own and not able to have fires, on my own and going to be using twigs and if I'm with a group and don't have to carry it.

Heres the light weight "wandering" kit, excuse the newness of it all but I don't take a camera with me when I'm out so theres no more recent pics.

ErenewClick1.jpg

Come to think of it since I took these I have swapped the spork for a folding job and reshaped the plastic spatula to fit the pan better. The frying pan I only take if I am taking stuff that needs frying or if I will be feeding a second person (who would be taking two spoonfuls for my one if eating from out of the same bowl, you know who you are ;-{D).

ErenewClick.jpg

The small Evernew frying pan makes the best outdoors plate I've seen, so much so that when a mate in the states wanted to swap some kit I had him send me the handleless version that fits inside. I've avoided abusing it and the nonstick isn't coming off. OK being metal it will try doing a China syndrome through your knees if you rest it on your lap full of boiling Chile but that can be avoided.

I tend to carry a Grohmann Bird and Trout as my lightweight cutting tool. In a moment of weakness I got one of those Swiss condiment carrier things and filled with pepper and chile powder and it works great. Silly price but very conveniant to use and unlike my attempts with film canisters et al hasn't leaked so far. Oh and a small Nalgene of brown saurce.

The other two kits are in a state of flux, I'm currently looking for the "perfect" stainless steel billy to go over the end of my old thermette. Personally I don't find a thermette that awkwad to carry as I go minimalist on most everything else.

As to the heavy kit, I should have some pics of that in use soon as the neighbours have just given me a vast amount of horse chestnut wood to chop and burn and what with this grand weather I think I'll be playing out back with it all weekend, breaking the 15" Aussie camp oven in! :-{D). I'm considering getting a 20 inch Campa pan the same firm make, it has a big solid hoop handle and should be big enough to do a proper brekfast for 5.

ATB

Tom

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
tegran.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Here´s my coffe pot or kettle (what it´s called?) boiling spruce tea. The coffepot is really versatile, I like it a lot.
You actually see the spruce through the hole. Is there a better place than by the open fire?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Heres some pic's of what I am basing my heavy kit on. My apologies if you have seen them before elsewhere and for it not being that little.

00000aapic.jpg

10 inch Aussie camp oven, inside is some fruit damper that lasted about 20 seconds after it came out. On the tray is some biscuits I baked directly on the trivet that comes with it.

Beegpan1.jpg

15 inch Aussie Camp Oven that I will be seasoning after I sign off to use tonight or over the weekend if this glorious weather holds, it should be big enough for anything I want to do. Before it gets scratched to death I'm going to try using the lid as a frying pan and if I like it I will get my mate who lives near the factory in Adelaide to score me a 20 inch version they market as the Campa pan. The loop handle is taller and has a suspension loop built in.

shovel.jpg

Is the hearth shovel I cobled togeter to make a mini spade for shovelling coals/ashes.

Boiler.jpg

This 20 pint stainless volcano stove from NZ should provide enough hot water! To go with I've picked up a few 10 litre plastic jerricans and a plastic funnel.

I'm now working on the bits to go with, I'll make as much as I can as thats half the fun, Those Ron Edwards Bushcraft books are full of good ideas to try for toasting contraptions and pot lifters.

As cooking knife (well everything knife if I'm not going lightweight) I use a Grohmanns Camper. the flat ground version of the Russel belt knife in stainless steel.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The eldest (10) made up some dried fruit, coconut and almond damper so we had a good long session in the back lot burning the horse chestnut to get a good bed of coals to bake it in my shiny new camp oven.

15incher1.JPG

He was chuffed to bits with the results and tomorrow night we'll try some other receipts. The upside down pizza tray worked a treat as a trivet, no burning on the base at all. I think it looked better with the flash switched off...

15incher2.JPG

ATB

Tom

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Here´s another kitchen which I´m gonna try out. It´s an old swedish army kithen which i´ve had added a small coffe kettle ( I belive 0,5 L ). I found that the coffepot fit inside the bigger kettle and the burner fit inside the coffepot.
snuskburken.jpg

snuskburken2.jpg

The army kettles have a nickname, snuskburken, means something like, the "filthy can"...

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Thanks very much for showing your kit guys, it's nice to see different set ups for different styles of camping.

I use just one pot of a 2 pot stainless steel pot set with my kitchen inside but stove (Whisperlite International or Pocket Rocket) in a seperate bag.

I am looking on the local scene for a camp fire pot with a bail handle, all the hiking kit around here has the swing handles that makes the pot a little unstable on small stoves and no option to hand them over a fire.

A very important part of my kit is a large bandana so I can have a dirt free area to lay everything out, makes for an easier clean up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE