Shoulder Knife Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Under English law it is not how you carry it, or were.

The point under English law, is why you carry it. No valid reason, equals breaking the law.

The problem is most of the stories you hear are of people who take the caution, and do push to stand before the court. It does not matter if you did it, if you sign to say you did, and if you sign a caution you take a police officers version of the law, and not the court version of the law.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Is it still true that in some states it's an offence to carry a concealed firearm, but in others it's the opposite - you have to have it on display?
ISTRC in the 70s it was so.

It was also the case that you needed a Federal permit to own a disguised weapon eg. a swordstick or air cane.

Jim

Most states are "shall issue" states, meaning that the state government has to produce a valid reason to deny you the right to carry concealed. In PA you are checked for any history of domestic violence, felony convictions, drug convictions, or mental illness. Many states do not have laws against "open carry", meaning you can legally have a handgun in a holster carried openly. Good luck with that, though, as it is likely to create lots of hassle. Even being perfectly legal in my state I don't personally know anyone who does it. I have a PA concealed carry permit and only open carry in the bush where such behavior is quite common.

Ironically you can get into trouble even with a permit to carry a handgun by carrying a concealed knife in many jurisdictions. Pennsylvania issues a "License to Carry Firearms" yet daggers and dirks are classed as "Prohibited Offensive Weapons". The knife rig in question would probably get you in trouble here as well if carried concealed under a jacket, even if you were legally carrying a pistol at the time.

Some weapons are classed as "Any Other Weapon" or AOW and require a Federal tax to be paid as well as other hassles. These kinds of weapons are rarely seen outside of collections. Mac

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Back to the original post, very nice sheath. I would love one of those.

Oh the joys of living on private land, I could wear it every day!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good to see the debate still going !.

As a matter of interest, its not a quick draw option, being in fact slower to draw than from its belt sheath.

It is an alternative carry option, i hurt my back some time ago, and twisting motion, such as turning to draw the knife from a belt sheath(it is a large knife)can cause irritation.

It can however be drawn one handed, but if you try a fast draw 3 things will probably happen,

One you will cut off the retaining strap, Two you will cut a hole in your shirt/jacket, and Three you will probably slice off your bicep !.

Rob

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
The carry option is then not even a consideration as it is legal and legitimate and unless the carrier was rude or offensive to the police officer, you will be taken as a responsible user.

We call that contempt of cop. They can always find something to run you in for if you are rude to them.

I guess I need to spend a year or two in the UK to understand the mindset. Here if it is carried like a weapon just about everyone would consider it a weapon no matter what you said it was for. Cary it on a belt loop and you would not get a second look. I was pulled over with a double edge 6 inch dagger on my belt. I got out to look at the tail light that was out and the officer never even asked about it and that was before I ever got a CCW permit.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
We call that contempt of cop. They can always find something to run you in for if you are rude to them.

I guess I need to spend a year or two in the UK to understand the mindset. Here if it is carried like a weapon just about everyone would consider it a weapon no matter what you said it was for. Cary it on a belt loop and you would not get a second look. I was pulled over with a double edge 6 inch dagger on my belt. I got out to look at the tail light that was out and the officer never even asked about it and that was before I ever got a CCW permit.

Said this before, the difference is you live in a free country, governed by the people for the people. We still have the system, sort of, that the US rebelled against in the first place.

One thing that came to me, is if I was using a sheath like that, would the Police Officer not be more worried about the Bill Hook?

topnot-

your sheath and harness are nicely done.

we used a similar design for heavy handguns, back in the day.
pretty sure we borrowed bianchi's or lawrence's design.

it's really quite comfortable.

however, if it's for concealment it does "print" under anything except winter wear.

i now use a webbing and elastic harness with almost no hardware to carry the essentials when i'm working fence or cutting trees and brush. it really keeps things from getting hung up.

a couple of suggestions, if you don't mind:
use an oval or round patch where your straps cross (lays flatter)
add elastic straps to secure the sheath and offside strap to the
users belt or trousers (i usually just use suspender (braces)
clips. they will keep things from shifting around as you work
or play.

well, that's my two cents worth.

nice job

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
below are a few images of the sheath with the knife inplace, to give you some idea of how the knife looks in place:

the knife, sheath and a swiss army knife:
IMG_0004-2.jpg

Close up of how the sheath fits on the body:
knife.jpg

how it looks on
IMG_0059-2.jpg

one for the ladies-the younger slimmer version!
IMG_0065-2.jpg

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Legal issues aside, that's a fine piece of work. I'm curious about the edge up orientation and right side carry. Most shoulder rigs I've seen for large blades carry on the left side with the edge facing down, clearly "weaponized" for a quick right hand draw from under cover. That is a fine piece of kit.

I used to carry a full sized 9mm in a shoulder rig and they can be uncomfortable after a while especially in hot weather. Fit is very important. I used to call it my "man bra". Mac

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nicely made, not my cup of tea at all but I am in awe of the arguments that you'll get nicked for using it. Hands up those who have been stopped, deep in the woods, by a Police Officer! Was he wearing wellies in the muddy wood? How did he get his patrol car into the wood because none of them walk anywhere these days! i think there is an element of scaremongering going on here, if you are worried about carrying a knife then so be it, but I'll be laughing at you across the clearing when my fire is lit and burning away nicely with wood cut with my saw and split with my knife whilst you gnaw away at wood with your teeth for your fire!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nicely made, not my cup of tea at all but I am in awe of the arguments that you'll get nicked for using it. Hands up those who have been stopped, deep in the woods, by a Police Officer! Was he wearing wellies in the muddy wood? How did he get his patrol car into the wood because none of them walk anywhere these days! i think there is an element of scaremongering going on here, if you are worried about carrying a knife then so be it, but I'll be laughing at you across the clearing when my fire is lit and burning away nicely with wood cut with my saw and split with my knife whilst you gnaw away at wood with your teeth for your fire!

Hi Spamel, I too have been watching this one, unfortunately as with most things in the land of the unwritten constitution ( UK and we like it that way mostly ) it's a case of "perception" Our laws are laws of comities and public favour ( in theory ) and though I too see the benefits of that beautiful rig it would be perceived as an offensive rig. After Hungerford and Dunblane ( only a few miles from where I sit) I would be lynched for wearing it. Most gun owners I associated with are honest well drilled folk, and since they banned handguns - handgun crime has soared, yet Tayside, with the highest gun ownership per capita in Scotland and relatively next door has the lowest gun crime in Scotland. It's like they say - Guns don't kill people, people kill people, or as I prefer it's like blaming a spoon for making John Prescott FAT. I have always carried a pocket knife, and hopefully always will. But I rely on the fact that I'm an honest 40 year old man to avoid getting into trouble with the cops. I also leave the "bush tools" for when I'm away even though I live in the country pretty much 24/7. I have a lot of copper mates and they say that as long as I'm not an idiot, am polite if I get stopped and due to my age / non record I should be OK. But I would never wear that beautiful rig anywhere as I don't want to push our countries Lilly livered laws of "perceived" offence.
Goatboy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It would be a pretty stupid police officer to percieve something being used as a tool in the woods with no one else about as anything other than a tool.

In fact, if that happened then there would be two tools. The knife and the copper.

Also bear in mind that the innocent man being arrested wrongly in the woods has the right to complain about the said officer. In a case like that the officer would be shafted. Especially if you did not get charged or walked away from court. The police are well aware of the repurcussions to them. They do not want lawsuits filing against them either.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Legal issues aside, that's a fine piece of work. I'm curious about the edge up orientation and right side carry.

Me too, I can see the advantage of having the blade face that way, but am sure if it would work for me.

Very nice work!

I would be tempted to have a ring at the top and bottom, so the blade, hung between the shoulder holster setup, and your belt.

Hi Spamel, I too have been watching this one, unfortunately as with most things in the land of the unwritten constitution ( UK and we like it that way mostly ) .

:eek: , no politics, must not get into politics.
The fact that we now have a set of laws that would make Hitler a happy man, and no protection under the law, except from Europe.
Minotaur works away muttering.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Me too, I can see the advantage of having the blade face that way, but am sure if it would work for me.

Very nice work!

I would be tempted to have a ring at the top and bottom, so the blade, hung between the shoulder holster setup, and your belt.

:eek: , no politics, must not get into politics.
The fact that we now have a set of laws that would make Hitler a happy man, and no protection under the law, except from Europe.
Minotaur works away muttering.

Thread over points lost.
Godwin wins

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi folks,

Mac, i'm left handed, and edge up it draws straight, without snagging, blade down seems to draw in more of an arc, cutting holes in your shirt !.

Rob

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Mate, That looks good with the knife inplace, and fits well. :D ;)
Thanks for the photos , Topman.
Cheers Andy.

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
Thread over points lost.
Godwin wins

Ha! You Tadpole have been on the internet a while if you know Godwin's Law. I have not seen anyone invoke that in several years.

This topic is so interesting as I was reading in another forum that US Customs are trying to ban any knives that are single hand opening from import. We have states that allow switchblade sales right now but most of us see this as the first step at regulation and banning on a federal level.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE