Shotgun/FAC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a FAC or Shotgun licence?

• I've got a Shotgun licence

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I've got a Firearms certificate

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • I've got both :-)

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • I'm thinking of applying for one or both...

Votes: 67 39.4%

• Total voters
S

Sambo Rambo

ive had both since 14 i go stalking read the april issue of sporting rifle to see my first roebuck stalk- OK shameless plug over get um both, well worth it

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
Some of the shotguns I use for rough hunting grouse in the Northwoods on the "Spaniels' Fall Fortnight Holiday":

3041322038_3133859907_b.jpg

Top two are Featherweight Winchester 101s in 12 and 20 bore. Middle is a Classic Doubles rendition of a Winchester Model 23 in 20 bore. Bottom two are by Benelli, also 20 and 12 bore. Cover is close and an ounce of 7 1/2s is usually the ticket.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Some of the shotguns I use for rough hunting grouse in the Northwoods on the "Spaniels' Fall Fortnight Holiday":

3041322038_3133859907_b.jpg

Top two are Featherweight Winchester 101s in 12 and 20 bore. Middle is a Classic Doubles rendition of a Winchester Model 23 in 20 bore. Bottom two are by Benelli, also 20 and 12 bore. Cover is close and an ounce of 7 1/2s is usually the ticket.

i have a winchester select light, love the middle one, where did you get that one ?

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
i have a winchester select light, love the middle one, where did you get that one ?

After the Japanese firm Winchester had making the Model 101 and the Model 23 went bankrupt around 1990, some Winchester employees bought the tooling for those shotguns from the receiver and started making the guns under the Classic Doubles brand. Back before Bill Clinton when I had an FFL, I managed to procure that Classic Doubles Model 201 (Winchester Model 23 equivalent). It's a sweet gun that fits me well. Rosie knows what's next when that comes out of the gun safe. :D

Last edited:

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
The only time you can fire a weapon without a license (outside of a range) is when you are in the company of the landowner using his rifle/shotgun, you cannot shoot the rifle of someone with permission, not even with the landowner present. Is the separation of guns and ammo in storage a new requirement?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I used to have a black powder licence and was working toward my shotty, i was Part of the American Civil War Society. so in order to get a powder issue on the field i had to have a licence.
it all went into the 4lb cannons anyways but it meant the whole crew could put in enough to see off those damn northerners! :D

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
got a Shotgun licence

i have an old Mosberg vari-choke, two old Baikels, and a Lincoln o/u.

rough shooting, pest control and the odd sporting clays is my area.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Went throuhg the hassle of an FAC and my 'guns' only put out 6ft/lb on a good day with a following wind.....thats dedication to the cause though...after all these years i still can't believe they banned self contianed gas cartridge units...i consider certain knees to be well and truely jerked ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Toadflax
It is indeed legal to shoot somebody elses rifle/shotgun provided that they are with you and they have the right to shoot on the land you are on as to the legality of shooting animals in the USA, you would be Very surprised at how strickly monitered they are on this,as an example in [most] states you are only allowed to take 1 species (antlered) of deer per season and the seasons are VERY short, then they have differant class of "weapon" eg theres Bow season,muzzle loader season rifle season and so forth.
The impression i get from non shooters over here of the yanks is that they grab there "gun" and head to the hills for dinner, this actually couldnt really be further from the truth,I usually visit the USA twice a year and Canada once and in speaking with the others in camp they are astounded at how long and leniant our game seasons are.
Dave

All true mut slightly misleading (only slightly however) "most" states do limit a hunter to ony 1 deer but it is usually (not always) 1 per season rather than 1 per year. Meaning you can legally take 1 for archery season, 1 for black powder season, and 1 for each of the regular gun seasons (some states break gun season into 2 or more seperate sessions) Also a significant number of Southern states have a overabundant whitetail deer population and allow a 2 per day limit with a possession limit of 4. Don't ask me how a game officer would actually be able to tell exactly how many deer are in your possession once the meat has been turned into packages of sausages and steaks.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Then again, there may be folks like myself who would like to shoot occasionally but, for whatever reason, don't want the hassle of owning a gun /licensing it (i.e. people who would like to go out on a shoot with someone who is licensed). I'm not sure if this is legal in the UK, and I'm not proposing lawbreaking, but an example is the only time I shot a wild animal when I was visiting relatives in the USA.

They were licensed to shoot and allowed me to shoot a deer for them...

Hate to be the one to tell you but you may well have broken the law there. You don't need any license to "shoot" but in most cases you DO need a license to "hunt" (kill game animals such as deer) The exceptions are if you are on your own or your family's land (meaning they actually own it, not a game lease; was this their land?) or if you are shooting non-game species. In the case where a license IS required, said license is sold to an individual and is NOT transferable. All of this means you have to have your own license, you cannot kill game on someone else's license.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shotguns:
1 Remington 11-48 semi auto 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel and modified choke (was my Daddy's)
1 Remington 870 pump 12 gauge with 20 inch barrel, rifle sights and several interchageable chokes
1 Fox-Stevens 311 side by sde 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel and mad/full chokes
1 Winchester Model 12 pump 20 gauge with 28 inch barrel and modified choke (was my Grand-Daddy's)
1 JC Higgins single shot 410 with 26 inch barrel and modified choke (was my Mamma's; she gave it to me when I was 3 years old)

Rifles:
1 Sears 22 single shot
1 Remington model 74 semi-auto 30-06
1 Ruger Mini-14 in .223 with several magazines
1 CVA Hawkin .50 caliber muzzle loader

Revolvers/pistols:
1 Colt Singl Action Army 45 with 5 inch barrel
1 Colt Trooper (blued) 357 with 4 inch barrel
1 Beretta Model 92F (blued) 9 mm (still have 2 full sets of police holsters, mag pouches, cuff cases, combat keepers and belts for this one)
1 CZ83 (blue) .380
1 CVA Confederate .44 caliber cap and ball revolver

Firearms I've owned before and sold or traded: At least as many as I own now. Maybe more.

Licenses: What's a license? Actually I do have a C&R license but only a few of these fall in that category so I had to buy/inherit them through normal channels instead of mail order; with the exception of the 2 black powder guns which were eligible for mail order even without the C&R license.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm real intrestedin geting a M6 survival rifle - are these legal in the uk - for anyone who doen't know they are a .22LR/ .410shotgun

I would asume I need both?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Because its a single firearm it qualifies on the "higher" of the two certificates. One gun, one certificate is the rule. If it does not qualify to be held on a section 2 (which this doesn't due to the rifled barrel), then the whole gun is section 1.

Many shotguns can also not be held on a section 2 certificate - those having a magazine of more than 2 rounds, those with less than 24" barrels etc. "Shotgun Certificate" is a misnomer.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The M6 is an interesting curio alright - rather like the AR7. No reason not to have one. There are better "combination" guns available for hunting if that is your intended use though. I was looking at an interesting .243 and 12 bore combination a while ago. It struck me as covering pretty much all uk legal quarry. The .22 / .410 is a great vermin / close up gun combination though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE