Shorter augers - where to get 'em?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have already tapped a few birch trees for their sap this year and have enjoyed that really refreshing harvest. The only problem is taking a 2 foot long scotch-eyed auger with me to make the hole - it's overkill to have such a huge device when only 3 - 5cm of it is needed, it takes up valuable rucksack space and weighs down the sack.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a scotch-eyed auger that's about 6 inches long and about 1 inch thick? I'm afraid that I have no metalwork skills to make my own - I'm in the market to buy one.

Alternatively, does anyone have any alternative suggestions about how to make a clean hole in the birch that is easily tapped and later plugged?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The only auger that short that I can think of are Axminster Power Auger bits, you can buy a 1" for £4.09 , but you would need to get a short T bar welded at one end. I should think that would work, although I haven't tried it myself :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got a short auger modified in Iraq with the same diameter tube at the top as the auger bit. That way, I can ensure the plug will fit before I remove the tap from the tree as I carve it until it just fits into the socket of the auger! I'm sure if you got one somebody here would be able to weld a bit of tube to the top for you to poke a stick through.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm going to head down the auger+tap wrench route - it looks light, compact and versatile.

Many thanks again.

Richard

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tiley said:
I have already tapped a few birch trees for their sap this year and have enjoyed that really refreshing harvest. The only problem is taking a 2 foot long scotch-eyed auger with me to make the hole - it's overkill to have such a huge device when only 3 - 5cm of it is needed, it takes up valuable rucksack space and weighs down the sack.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a scotch-eyed auger that's about 6 inches long and about 1 inch thick? I'm afraid that I have no metalwork skills to make my own - I'm in the market to buy one.

Alternatively, does anyone have any alternative suggestions about how to make a clean hole in the birch that is easily tapped and later plugged?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

I got this one off Ebay last month for a couple of quid! Its about 7.5" long.

Attachments

• 100_1042b.JPG
    100_1042b.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 76

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Looks good, Greg. Was it just a one off or are there more available? If so, do you have the address (or whatever is required) of the seller on ebay?

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I have used a bit (for a brace as mentioned earlier) and made a handle out of some pipe with a square socket filed into it in the middle. The bit slides into it afterwards for storage. All in all its about 8 or so inches long by about 3/4" in diameter. If anyone wants to see some photos i'll email them so they can put them up as i cant do it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tiley said:
Looks good, Greg. Was it just a one off or are there more available? If so, do you have the address (or whatever is required) of the seller on ebay?
I will look back through my Paypal payments and find the address, I'm not sure if it was a one off or not, give me 5 minutes!!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
or...

I saw a thread on another forum wher the chap used a finger thickness stick for the tap, having shaved one side flat and carved a slight V along it. He then drove his knife into the tree at an upward angle (blade horizontal) to about 1cm. The sitck was knocked into the slot with the flat side down. A pot was seated at the base of the tree on a few twigs to level it. It worked great and the scar requires no plug, just hold the flap down few a little while. :)

That works on smooth barked trees, obviously the rough textured old trees will need to get into the trunk proper.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dave Budd said:
or...

I saw a thread on another forum wher the chap used a finger thickness stick for the tap, having shaved one side flat and carved a slight V along it. He then drove his knife into the tree at an upward angle (blade horizontal) to about 1cm. The sitck was knocked into the slot with the flat side down. A pot was seated at the base of the tree on a few twigs to level it. It worked great and the scar requires no plug, just hold the flap down few a little while. :)

That works on smooth barked trees, obviously the rough textured old trees will need to get into the trunk proper.

That sounds like a very good option and like you say less damage to the tree.:)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Greg, many thanks for the ebay address. I might well 'do the deal' but the auger is still a little long for tree-tapping purposes (it's 10"). Like you, I like the idea of a less intrusive means of tapping. Maybe I'll try this other technique before taking the plunge with another auger.

Many thanks to one and all for your help and suggestions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE